Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 7/15/2017 7:00:58 AM EDT
I am thinking of getting a pre charged pneumatic air rifle and want to use a scuba tank to refill it.
Do I need a dive certificate to purchase and/or have it filled?
I currently live in Eastern WV, but will be moving to Western NC some time in the future.
Any suggestions on where to have them refilled?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#1]
My dive shop fills tanks for non-scuba purposes. You just take the tank in and get it filled. Ask at any dive shops in your area.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#2]
You do not need the diver certificate but will have to submit the tank for the static pressure test as any diver does every few years.

And be very careful with it.  That thing kills if it explodes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Scuba tanks go to 3000 psi.  Get a carbon fiber tank that takes it to 4500 psi and need certification every 15 years I think.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Scuba tanks go to 3000 psi.  Get a carbon fiber tank that takes it to 4500 psi and need certification every 15 years I think.
View Quote
That assumes a shop will fill to that pressure.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
you don't have to use a scuba tank. go to any air/gas supply. or paintball shop. Does your gun not have the pump with it?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think the carbon tanks EXPIRE after 15 years. Meaning they are no longer certifiable. I might be wrong on the number, but they have a limited serviceable lifespan.

Having said that, if you can get a 4500 psi fill, GET THE CARBON FIBER TANK. If you need to fill your gun to 3000, you'll never actually get a full fill.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am thinking of getting a pre charged pneumatic air rifle and want to use a scuba tank to refill it.
Do I need a dive certificate to purchase and/or have it filled?
I currently live in Eastern WV, but will be moving to Western NC some time in the future.
Any suggestions on where to have them refilled?
Thanks
View Quote

My local shop fills my tank with no special cert.  I shoot a Talon SS at 3000psi. I have a 100 cu ft 3300 psi scuba tank. The higher pressure tanks are nice because you can refill your tank to full capacity. I know a guy with a 3000 psi tank and he doesn't understand that his gun never actually sees 3000 psi. Some guys "cascade". Look it up, it's a cool way to use multiple tanks to achieve fills more efficiently.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
you don't have to use a scuba tank. go to any air/gas supply. or paintball shop. Does your gun not have the pump with it?
View Quote
nevermind on the pump. I was thinking pneumatic speargun
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure if you would find a place willing to fill the tank without some sort of dive certification, but you don't need one to purchase the tank itself.

The fill aspect would all depend on the specific shop. Some care, some don't.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I have not got one yet.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think the carbon tanks EXPIRE after 15 years. Meaning they are no longer certifiable. I might be wrong on the number, but they have a limited serviceable lifespan.

Having said that, if you can get a 4500 psi fill, GET THE CARBON FIBER TANK. If you need to fill your gun to 3000, you'll never actually get a full fill.
View Quote
That is correct. Doesn't matter if it's in hydro or not.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.shoeboxcompressor.com/product/

Two Models starting at $649There are two models of ShoeBox MAX Air Compressor. One is set for 4500 psi (300 bar) output, the other is set for 3000 psi (200 bar). The two are functionally identical but have different burst disks and pressure springs. Because of the burst disks, the output can not be changed on the fly. The price for either model is $649 dollars. Popular options such as belt drive and hardened pistons are standard on the MAX model.  A built-in fan upgrade is available. The ShoeBox MAX Air Compressor requires an external input of 85 psi (6 bar) from a typical shop air compressor (125psi for the Freedom8). We recommend one of the inexpensive oil free compressors available everywhere. This takes the place of the first stage in compression and allows us to produce the ShoeBox at a breakthrough low price.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#13]
The 4500 psi tanks still need hydro testing.  I do not recall but I think it is every 3 years (mine needs hydro).  That said, thought I read somewhere that something changed-I think it was the experation date.

mho is shoebox compressors take a bit of maintence.  If I did not already own a 4500psi tank, would have considered a shoebox and a pigmy tank.  I think I have filled my cf 3 times since purchasing it-but was using it for target rifles that sip air.  It was getting over a year a fill (k's of shots).
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top