Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 7/6/2017 8:33:35 PM EDT
Went and dove Fanning Springs, FL to check all of our new equipment. It went well! Here's a short video. I'm hoping to make a short series of videos on the various Springs in and around Florida. Many of them not quite as known as Ginnie, Silver, Crystal, and Blue Springs...

https://youtu.be/EXiBp-ze3Ko
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool.

But where the gators at?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
UM.....I need a right rear spring for my 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS, is this the right thread? I hear Florida springs are the best ones.

Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been to Silver Springs & Homosassa and always thought swimming in there would be fun as hell.   But again I'd be paranoid of the gators...
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice video, music sucks big time.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Went and dove Fanning Springs, FL to check all of our new equipment. It went well! Here's a short video. I'm hoping to make a short series of videos on the various Springs in and around Florida. Many of them not quite as known as Ginnie, Silver, Crystal, and Blue Springs...

https://youtu.be/EXiBp-ze3Ko
View Quote

Did you go to manatee springs? It's only about 15 miles away from there and has cave diving.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
The springs are one of the bennies of living here. We do Juniper every couple years and also hike around Alexander springs for a few days (in the winter!), then end the hike at the spring and hang out and swim before driving back.  There's always divers at one section of Alexander spring as I believe there's a sink hole at one end that goes down pretty far.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Peacock, and dive Orange Grove Sink, if you're cavern certified!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Peacock, and dive Orange Grove Sink, if you're cavern certified!
View Quote
I just dove Orange Sink yesterday. We made it to within 100 feet from challenge sink before we hit our turn pressures.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm only OW certified as of right now.  Still building experience and comfortability.  My ultimate goal is to gain the experience to eventually be cave certified.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm only OW certified as of right now.  Still building experience and comfortability.  My ultimate goal is to gain the experience to eventually be cave certified.
View Quote
Heed the signs until then. Even the cavern zone can turn to a shitshow really quickly.

Troy is nice for open water divers...
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Not a scuba diver, but I grew up free swimming those springs.  Fanning, Manatee, Blue Springs, mostly.  Best swimming ever.  Went at the wrong time to Fanning springs a couple of years ago, and took the kids, and it had quite a rich and vibrant crowd there.  I always heard about all the cave divers who died through the years.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Heed the signs until then. Even the cavern zone can turn to a shitshow really quickly.

Troy is nice for open water divers...
View Quote
Yea I definitely plan on it.  I'm not an idiot and I know how quickly things can go sideways.  I'm not even a fan of an overhead environment.  My plan is AOW and rescue diver courses next year after I've got a couple dozen dives under my belt then figure it out from there.  Maybe Divemaster?  At any rate, hopefully by next year or maybe the year after I'll have enough experience to begin tech/sidemount and cavern/cave training.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Hitting up Alexander Springs tomorrow, I'll try and post a video...
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I did my OW cert in Vortex spring.

That water is freakin cold. The instructor was wearing a dry suit
View Quote
What do you call cold?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What do you call cold?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did my OW cert in Vortex spring.

That water is freakin cold. The instructor was wearing a dry suit
What do you call cold?
Florida springs are typically 70-75* at the surface and can get colder as you get deeper. In the winter, I've seen as low as 50* in some springs.

It ain't ice diving, but spend an hour at 65* and see if you don't get a bit chilled.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I've spent nearly an hour colder than that in my 5mm and I wasn't chilled. High cold tolerance combined with "bioprene" (body fat). ;-)
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#20]
We made an impromptu trip down to Alexander Springs.  Neither of us were satisfied with our trim with the new BCs and wanted to get it right.  Alexander Springs was also very affordable just like our trip a few days ago to Fanning Springs.  Only cost $11.00 to scuba.  Note to self, need to buy some sort of wagon thing to tote our gear from the car to the water.  It was quite the walk from parking to the actual area to get in.  Always a lot of fun in 100 degree Florida July weather.  Had a great time, explored a small swim-through, worked out some buoyancy and trim issues, and forgot to wear sun screen.  We will be back!

https://youtu.be/xFs7sz1ybHg
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We made an impromptu trip down to Alexander Springs.  Neither of us were satisfied with our trim with the new BCs and wanted to get it right.  Alexander Springs was also very affordable just like our trip a few days ago to Fanning Springs.  Only cost $11.00 to scuba.  Note to self, need to buy some sort of wagon thing to tote our gear from the car to the water.  It was quite the walk from parking to the actual area to get in.  Always a lot of fun in 100 degree Florida July weather.  Had a great time, explored a small swim-through, worked out some buoyancy and trim issues, and forgot to wear sun screen.  We will be back!

https://youtu.be/xFs7sz1ybHg
View Quote
Search "collapsible wagon" on Amazon. I have the top rated one. Cost $60-70. My immediate diving circle now all have them after seeing mine. Can handle 2 AL80s and my 30cft pony without issue.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Search "collapsible wagon" on Amazon. I have the top rated one. Cost $60-70. My immediate diving circle now all have them after seeing mine. Can handle 2 AL80s and my 30cft pony without issue.
View Quote
Thanks we'll have to check that out!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is the one.
View Quote
The Walmart one is better. Much more compact than the Mac wagon. I have both.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Folding-Wagon/34109015?variantFieldId=actual_color
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I scored one of the 400 pound Gorilla carts pictured below off a neighbor yesterday because it had flat tires. They were throwing it away.

Hello free $60 cave gear cart. Just judging from the size of it, it should hold two steel HP100's or LP80's, a stage AL80, and an AL40 deco bottle, plus fins, reels, lights, etc.

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:56:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Now you've done it.  Now I'm actually pining for the long gone Branford Dive Center.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Spring life
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Rainbow river life.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Rainbow river life.
View Quote
Felt so good yesterday too, we didn't get out there til like 1-1:30 so it was hot as hell. Stayed til probably 6-6:30?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Felt so good yesterday too, we didn't get out there til like 1-1:30 so it was hot as hell. Stayed til probably 6-6:30?
View Quote
I thought about trying to hit it this week in my kayak. However, both me a buddy of mine are having some ear issues after spending last Sunday at Orange stink.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#31]
We have been here before as part of our Open Water certification dives. But we wanted to return and explore some of the pass-throughs and venture around the cavern more. Probably one of our favorite places we've dove so far. Get there early during the week before the snorkelers silt it up. The caves are blocked off so there is no going back into them (especially not without the proper training and equipment) but you can see some HUGE catfish when you shine your light back in there. Speaking of light there is very little below 30ft so a flashlight would be a worthwhile accessory. All in all a great dove and the staff is excellent. We will be back!

https://youtu.be/7mkBPe4lfOE
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Viz in the rainbow sure was crappy the other day while I practiced donning/doffing stage/deco bottles for upcoming classes... kind of a half-arse practice day because there was no way I was bothering with a wetsuit and everything else in that heat! LOL
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/p960x960/20024101_10159229200655413_3028103194427271499_o.jpg?oh=4644558aed1d803135489fbba208fdf3&oe=5A11660B

Viz in the rainbow sure was crappy the other day while I practiced donning/doffing stage/deco bottles for upcoming classes... kind of a half-arse practice day because there was no way I was bothering with a wetsuit and everything else in that heat! LOL
View Quote
Wow, I didn't think the rainbow could get that silted up. Was it from rain?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Someone else said it was a combination of traffic and rain, possibly. I think it's generally hazier than it used to be (talking when I was 7-10 years old, roughly 15-20 or so years ago) because of nitrates/over-fertilization of lawns and landscaping in the recharge zone (along with commercial farming that occurs right off its' east bank, farther down the river), but that day there was very little boat/tuber traffic compared to your general summer weekend as it was during the week.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Someone else said it was a combination of traffic and rain, possibly. I think it's generally hazier than it used to be (talking when I was 7-10 years old, roughly 15-20 or so years ago) because of nitrates/over-fertilization of lawns and landscaping in the recharge zone (along with commercial farming that occurs right off its' east bank, farther down the river), but that day there was very little boat/tuber traffic compared to your general summer weekend as it was during the week.
View Quote
It's been that long or longer since I've been. But I have fond memories.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We have been here before as part of our Open Water certification dives. But we wanted to return and explore some of the pass-throughs and venture around the cavern more. Probably one of our favorite places we've dove so far. Get there early during the week before the snorkelers silt it up. The caves are blocked off so there is no going back into them (especially not without the proper training and equipment) but you can see some HUGE catfish when you shine your light back in there. Speaking of light there is very little below 30ft so a flashlight would be a worthwhile accessory. All in all a great dove and the staff is excellent. We will be back!

https://youtu.be/7mkBPe4lfOE
View Quote
That's a kickass video man! I live 30 minutes from Devil's Den/Blue Grotto. Makes me want to get dive certified even more now.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top