Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2017 1:41:42 AM EDT
I am about to buy a regulator set to replace one I had that had serious problems.
I was going to buy a set of Scubapro regs, but the guy selling them lives in Japan and I just really don't want to do an international deal. There are some others for sale here in the U.S. but I would have to buy hoses, etc.
Then there is a local guy with a set of Oceanic regs- FDX10, Delta4 and Alpha8 octo, with gauges and all hoses. I am meeting him Friday so I can get the regs and am taking my Zeagle Ranger to pick an inflator hose that fits.

Everyone seems to think Oceanic isn't the way to go and I should buy SP, Atomic, etc. For a simple recreational diver like me it seems like Oceanic is about middle of the pack, and good enough is good enough. I think just about every reg is capable of being safe to use.

Am I wrong? For $300.00 for a full reg set including a console with gauges it seems to be a good fit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 5:56:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen all your posts about regs over on SB. I'm not quite sure why you've been agonizing over the purchase.

I wouldn't buy Oceanic regs. They're not who I think of when it comes to regs. I have AL and Apeks. I know a lot of people who dive those, along with ScubaPro, HOG, Atomics, and some Zeagle.

Pick one of the manufacturers I mentioned and you'll have a good reg set. Oceanic just isn't really known for them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I started diving via the Navy back in the 70's. I also would recommend Apeks, Atomics (which I still have)  Scubapro and Zeagle. We also use to dive Poseidon's quite a bit in cold water
I dove in so many adverse conditions that all of mine were environmentally sealed
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]
For a recreational diver, there's nothing wrong with Oceanic regs. I wouldn't use them for a steady diet of deep dives or cold water dives, though, as they tend to start breathing hard as tank pressure drops (at least the few models I've tried).
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I won't be going deep or dive when it's cold.
This reg is environmentally sealed though so I could.
I used to have another set of Oceanic regs that had a problem- I bought them used from a lds and they were supposedly serviced but hadn't been touched in years. I started asking about upgrades and had several people say I didn't need to upgrade- what I had was fine.
Now that I am thinking about buying these regs people say to not buy Oceanic.
I realize Oceanic isn't top of the line, but I don't think they are junk either.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I definitely would not rank Oceanic a bottom tier regulator, even their basic pistons.  They are mostly [pistons] Scubapro clones, so there's that.
As a company, they have had some unique designs starting with the Omega II which I have used and serviced.

Not very familiar with the FDX10, but it is a balanced diaphragm regulator with easily sourced service parts.  I think you'll be just fine with it. Caveat.....your buying from some guy, so you may be in the same situation you were with the first set.  I don't think you know how to properly check a regulator for function, so in this instance you would be taking their word.  I could be wrong though.
I saw your posts over in SB, didn't participate, with one exception where I recommended going with a Sherwood if you want a sealed piston.  No need for costly seal kits etc.   There is a reason no other company uses it, there's a patent involved.  
I have responded your older thread here regarding the potential problem with your reg causing you issues while diving.....I like Black and Tan BTW
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I definitely would not rank Oceanic a bottom tier regulator, even their basic pistons.  They are mostly [pistons] Scubapro clones, so there's that.
As a company, they have had some unique designs starting with the Omega II which I have used and serviced.

Not very familiar with the FDX10, but it is a balanced diaphragm regulator with easily sourced service parts.  I think you'll be just fine with it. Caveat.....your buying from some guy, so you may be in the same situation you were with the first set.  I don't think you know how to properly check a regulator for function, so in this instance you would be taking their word.  I could be wrong though.
I saw your posts over in SB, didn't participate, with one exception where I recommended going with a Sherwood if you want a sealed piston.  No need for costly seal kits etc.   There is a reason no other company uses it, there's a patent involved.  
I have responded your older thread here regarding the potential problem with your reg causing you issues while diving.....I like Black and Tan BTW
View Quote

I know what to look for on regs now, and I will check it over when I pick it up.
I don't have to take his word- he has the receipt from Scubatoys from when he had it serviced.
I finally just said screw it- I'm getting this Oceanic set. These are good, and no matter what I buy there will always be something better out there. If I do manage somehow to exceed these regs capabilities I will look into buying something else later.
The FDX10 is a sealed diaphragm first stage regulator. I have read good reviews and some bad. The good reviews mention specific things, where the bad are usually someone just didn't like it or didn't have it adjusted.

The confusion I had went through came from people telling me there was no need to upgrade my old regs, but then telling me these aren't worth getting. Sometimes I miss the simple days of my original Calypso J-valve and Conshelf 2 regs. No octo, no BCD, just a first stage, a single second stage, and an SPG. Regs, and all scuba gear, got complicated during my layoff and I am slowly getting up to speed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I miss the simple days of my original Calypso J-valve and Conshelf 2 regs. No octo, no BCD, just a first stage, a single second stage, and an SPG. Regs, and all scuba gear, got complicated during my layoff and I am slowly getting up to speed.
View Quote

If you still have those Conshelf regs, you can still get them serviced and have a reg that is second to none.

I still have one that I use occasionally when the nostalgia bug kicks in. Hell, until 2 years ago, I had a White Stag dual hose unit that I would use in the springs! You shoulda seen the looks I got from the gear queers!
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you still have those Conshelf regs, you can still get them serviced and have a reg that is second to none.

I still have one that I use occasionally when the nostalgia bug kicks in. Hell, until 2 years ago, I had a White Stag dual hose unit that I would use in the springs! You shoulda seen the looks I got from the gear queers!
View Quote

That would be interesting to see!
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those regs are long gone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lolz.
I have been experimenting with a new to me Nemrod Snark.  There's definitely a lot of murmuring and gnashing of teeth once I have mine setup at local dive spots.  I got a severe ration of shite when I took my newly doubled lp72's with Selpac Manifold for a fill at my LDS.  They weren't going to fill them .  "but, but there old..." They had filled the tanks before as singles.  I had to 'splain what I was doing [double hose] and that I overhauled the manifold.  About 15 mins of debate, they filled them.  
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top