Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 2/13/2017 12:46:50 AM EDT
I just got back from a cruise to go diving. One of the stops was Grand Cayman. I dove a broken up banana boat on a reef and the Kittiwake. Before the dive the DM warned us that a storm went through a couple of weeks ago. The storm/surge removed the wheelhouse superstructure. The wheel is still there, but it sits out in the open. The whole wheelhouse is gone.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Wrecks never last. Empire Mica is a shambles now compared to when I dove on her back in 92.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#2]
What outfit did you dive with?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What outfit did you dive with?
View Quote

Cayman Divers/ Divers Down. There shop was a short walk from the pier- it was a cruise excursion.
They were a really good crew. We had a very good briefing and they kept an eye on us without seeming to smother us. Basically they treated us like divers rather than children.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wrecks never last. Empire Mica is a shambles now compared to when I dove on her back in 92.
View Quote

Our first dive was the Oro Verde. Over the years it has been pounded to pieces. The Bicycles are even in pieces, but they may have been dropped like that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Oddly enough the Speigel Grove was originally on its side and a hurricane righted it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Sadly inevitable.  

The two marus at Bonegi on Guadalcanal were virtually intact in the 1980s, today almost nothing is above water and they are ruined.

Even worse, a Jap zero in shallow water in Palau was near complete 15 years ago, storms have ripped it apart.  They should have extracted it years ago.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The only experience I had with this was the USS Mohawk. I was able to dive it quite a bit after they sank it in 2011. A big storm came through a few years back and basically erased the superstructure. It was sad and disappointing. I remember reviewing the gopro video after my first dive and seeing the damage. It was pretty wild seeing how it was ripped apart.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just got back from a cruise to go diving. One of the stops was Grand Cayman. I dove a broken up banana boat on a reef and the Kittiwake. Before the dive the DM warned us that a storm went through a couple of weeks ago. The storm/surge removed the wheelhouse superstructure. The wheel is still there, but it sits out in the open. The whole wheelhouse is gone.
View Quote

Not surprising considering how shallow that wreck is and IIRC it's on the windward side.

I was a little disappointed in the Kittiwake. We followed the guide through it, hung around for a little while on our own and that was it. I thought our second dive was going to be back on it but free to go where we wanted it. Not that there's much to see to begin with but there weren't many chances to get good pictures in a group.

It's good for someone who's never penetrated a wreck and my wife was comfortable doing it. So that was a plus.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
It was the first wreck I have been on. Actually the second- the first was what was left of the Oro Verde. I saw pics of divers that were on that wreck several years ago. All that is left of it is the bottom of the hull and that's in pieces.

The Kittiwake is in 62' of water and I think I remember reading the wheelhouse was only 15' deep so it isn't surprising it was damaged.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top