Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 2:23:59 PM EDT
Hey there, another new guy checking into this subforum, have lurked for a bit and nice to see such a variety of personalities and diving locations in here! I've been in a big diving family for some time and just now got around to doing my PADI open water cert so I can dive "legal". Central Ohio is lacking some in diving, but I didn't realize the great lakes had such unique diving though. Moving back to coastal NC next year (that's where I grew up at) so excited to get out a lot more!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Gilboa Quarry isn't that far from you.

I'm the cold water diving wacko here. Everyone else seems to shudder at the thought!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm the cold water diving wacko here. Everyone else seems to shudder at the thought!
View Quote

Lol.  Was at Lake Pleasant last weekend and the temps were around 50*.  Brrrr.  Glad I have my techniflex drysuits.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome!

And dont worry about Marie. What she hasnt learned yet is why divers went to college.

So they can afford to dive someplace warm...

Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Welcome!

And dont worry about Marie. What she hasnt learned yet is why divers went to college.So they can afford to dive someplace warm...

View Quote

Ha! What you warm water divers don't get is that I'm not interested in diving someplace warm. Fish bore me. The Great Lakes wrecks I've been reading about for 25 years, on the other hand...

I'm obsessed...
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

You dive in a friggin' dry suit. Talk to me about cold water when you dive southern CA in the winter, in a wet-suit, when the water surface temp is 50 or less.

OP- welcome to the forum.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You dive in a friggin' dry suit. Talk to me about cold water when you dive southern CA in the winter, in a wet-suit, when the water surface temp is 50 or less.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh come on FB41, you were a crayon eater for ten years and therefore and must have affected the learning process.  That had to mess with the mental mindset and enable you to take a little longer to realize dry suit + cold water = better time than in a wetsuit.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:15:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh come on FB41, you were a crayon eater for ten years and therefore and must have affected the learning process.  That had to mess with the mental mindset and enable you to take a little longer to realize dry suit + cold water = better time than in a wetsuit.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the whole pee thing is in your favour when you dive wet.  Yeah, I went there.
I started wet in PAC NW
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a She-P now and had a p-valve installed in my dry suit a few months ago.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ha! What you warm water divers don't get is that I'm not interested in diving someplace warm. Fish bore me. The Great Lakes wrecks I've been reading about for 25 years, on the other hand...

I'm obsessed...
View Quote

Some day I'd love to go dry and check out the Great Lakes.  But until then I'm digging the warm water wrecks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome.

Where are you moving to in NC? I'm in Wilmington for the time being.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, the whole pee thing is in your favour when you dive wet.  Yeah, I went there.
I started wet in PAC NW
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started wet in PAC NW

I had a DUI drysuit when they first came out. It had a built in horse-collar type BC and did indeed make it more comfortable than a wetsuit... until I had to piss or the damn suit flooded because of a ripped seal.  The pee-valve thing wasn't a commonly available item back then.

I went back to diving wet and only used the drysuit in Alaska or under ice. You'd be surprised how warm a 6mm farmer john and hooded jacket suit can be.

...and I quit eating crayons when I was 7, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Welcome.

Where are you moving to in NC? I'm in Wilmington for the time being.
View Quote

it'll be late this year, ill either be going down to pamlico area or by Wilmington, I grew up at Seymour Johnson for 20+ years, so its time to get back to where the air doesn't hurt my skin!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Another Columbus Diver here

Gilboa,  White Star,  Portage,  Circleville Twin Quarries (shallow, great for buoyancy practice), Lancaster also has a quarry (not wild about it because fishing is allowed, hate to get tangled in monofilament )  It is good practice to escape though.  Take a sharp knife with you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Another Columbus Diver here

Gilboa,  White Star,  Portage,  Circleville Twin Quarries (shallow, great for buoyancy practice), Lancaster also has a quarry (not wild about it because fishing is allowed, hate to get tangled in monofilament )  It is good practice to escape though.  Take a sharp knife with you.
View Quote

Portage is now closed.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top