Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 1/29/2017 4:26:14 PM EDT
These integrated weight pockets came with the Halcyon Infinity 40 BP/W I won in October. I have to say that I'm not really happy with them as they're not really "quick release" compared with the other weight pockets on the harness the Halcyon has supplanted.

My weight is spread out - BP, 5 lb insert on my STA, trim weight pockets, plus these waist pockets.

I'm thinking of taking the pockets into my LDS and having the plastic buckles replaced with a velcro fastening so I can more easily drop the weight if needed in an emergency. Your thoughts?

ETA: I'm just probably being a nervous nellie.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, IMHO, I'm not a big fan of most of the quick release systems out there, and would prefer those to most I've seen.

I would be FAR more worried about having a weight pocket falling out inadvertently, than not being able to ditch weight fast enough.

But I can see where with 7mil gloves, it may be hard to operate the fastex buckles.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't do it.

You should be more worried about them falling out.  An uncontrolled ascent from depth is a lot more likely and problematic than taking an extra couple of seconds to unfasten a buckle should the need ever even arise.  Which is highly unlikely.

That said, again, it never hurts to practice doing that in controlled conditions in full kit to make sure you can reach and manipulate everything.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't do it.

You should be more worried about them falling out.  An uncontrolled ascent from depth is a lot more likely and problematic than taking an extra couple of seconds to unfasten a buckle should the need ever even arise.  Which is highly unlikely.

That said, again, it never hurts to practice doing that in controlled conditions in full kit to make sure you can reach and manipulate everything.
View Quote

I will echo this statement. In the olden days of diving when weight integrated BC's first came onto the market they used velcro and only velcro for a securing mechanism. It wasn't uncommon to hear of someone you knew that lost a weight pouch. I know of one guy that did an uncontrolled ascent from 110 feet because his weight pouch fell out.

The need to ditch weights is pretty uncommon provided you dive sensibly and don't do anything stupid like breath your tank dry.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Planning on doing that in my next pool session.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Marie,
Definitely do not do that. how much weight are you currently carrying and what size tank are you using?

Is your buddy someone you know and trust or do you tend to go insta-buddy?

Your right those weight pockets are horrible. They came out with an alternative a while ago that I wish I could remember what they called them. They are NOT  the silly weight integrated harness system, but they are much better. a while ago to a much better arrangement.

Many of us who dive a lot carry a pretty good excess of buoyancy regardless. Both times I had to make an assisted ascent for another diver neither diver dropped any weight. Although my legs burned like hell near the end, I felt much much more comfortable maintaining a CESA at a nice slow pace with a firm grip on the distressed diver to make sure I didn't end up joining them on a final rocket sled trip up if they did something stupid due to panic.  it would of been like worrying about number 20 on the checklist while my only focus was on numbers 1-5.

Many divers myself included only keep a few pounds my total weight as ditch-able anyway.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#6]
That original post was nearly a year ago.

Irrelevant now.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top