Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 1/16/2017 12:00:57 PM EDT
This is mostly for those here considering diving, but also a celebration of sorts.

2 years ago I scheduled my wife and kids pool time for a discover scuba diving. I've never been a fan of the shop (Rick's Dive and travel in NLR, AR).   But I wasn't familiar with the only other shop in town that had a pool.  And I knew they were competent.

Big mistake,  the DM my wife had was a bitch,  impatient as hell and didn't care at all about her comfort. ALMOST completely ruined her on the idea of diving.

In the last 2 years I developed a relationship with the shop in town that I didn't know before.  I'm in my second class there and was loving the culture at the shop.  So I convinced my wife to try it again,  and she went Saturday.  2 hours 1 on 1. She has a blast and is now looking forward to diving with me.  

All because it was with the right instructor.

My wife and I now have a future diving together,  something I thought would never happen.  

Quality of instruction is more important than price.  There is no excuse for poor instruction, there is no excuse for fast food scuba training.  Good training with a great instructor creates the basis to grow and expand your skills and capabilities.  Bad training may keep someone from diving that will really enjoy it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Totally agree. My two instructors are fab. They were incredibly patient with me during my OW class and are working with me for some sessions over the winter at no additional cost. I don't know how many would do that.

Two dive buddies of mine met them at the local quarry the end of October when we were diving on our own. Just instructors' friendliness and such was apparently a 180 from friends' instructors and we're actually going to do our advanced classes together this summer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I have it good with my LDS.  Lots of good, experienced instructors that take the time necessary to teach the skills and make sure the students get it right before moving on.  My primary instructor for open water was the daughter of the PADI co-founder Ralph Erickson.  I didn't know that at the time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
My instructors for AOW were fantastic, even if they often dreamed up new ways to try to kill me and my dive buddy.

Others that I've talked to that certed through the various shops around here have talked about some of the instructors, and that made me very glad I did mine through my college.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was actively teaching, I did my best to make it fun. A large percentage of the time, I was successful.

Some people seem to learn better when they are taught in a  "Marine Corps" fashion, others in a hand-hold, step-by step way, but regardless how the student learns, the goal is always to enjoy the experience.

I would not tolerate divemasters and AI's that were pricks or bitches and at the same time, I would not suffer students who were pricks or bitches to my staff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
People make comments all the time about which certification agency is best. I tell them it doesn't matter. You need to choose your instructor. Go to the shop meet the instructors. Ask to watch a pool session with the instructor that you think you want to teach you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My AOW class was structured so that each stage built upon and used the previous stage's lessons.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My AOW class was structured so that each stage built upon and used the previous stage's lessons.
View Quote

All classes/lessons should be done that way.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good instructors will teach that way, regardless how the agency syllabus is set up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good instructors will teach that way, regardless how the agency syllabus is set up.
View Quote
I'm glad the agency I teach specifically allows teaching how you want as long as all of the skills are taught and learned.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm glad the agency I teach specifically allows teaching how you want as long as all of the skills are taught and learned.
View Quote
I think most agencies set allow a fair amount of latitude as long as standards are met. I've never seem a major difference in the big agencies as far as standards. My issue is with the exceptions, and agencies letting stores get away with it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:58:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Since I start my Divemaster candidacy on Monday, I appreciate hearing people's experiences. I love to teach things that I have a passion for, and I hope that I'll be a solid teacher, and eventually instructor. I plan on assisting as many classes as possible, while working on getting my DM cert.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:17:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Since I start my Divemaster candidacy on Monday, I appreciate hearing people's experiences. I love to teach things that I have a passion for, and I hope that I'll be a solid teacher, and eventually instructor. I plan on assisting as many classes as possible, while working on getting my DM cert.
View Quote
I did classes with 7 or so instructors when i did mine. Being a DM is easy, just be everything you think a DM should be,  and more.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Listen to your customers. Knowing their needs and wants, brings them back. Offer help or advice when asked, don't interject yourself into their outings.

When underwater hang slightly above and behind the class while the instructor leads. Learn where the dump valves are and practice pulling them without the diver feeling it or seeing you do it.

Know exactly where they all are at all times.

When they are practicing skills, be on top and behind of the student as they are doing the skill with the instructor. If they bolt you'll be in a position to stop them.

When leading/guiding a dive go slow, agonizingly slow. You've seen everything on that site. They haven't.  Learn to swim on your back and maintain buoyancy.

Have fun. If you aren't having fun, they aren't having fun.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I literally walked away from my first cave instructor. Every question I asked was answered with the phrase "it's an instinct." You weren't corrected on mistakes in so much as you were yelled. I was told that for the purposes of training the rules of gas management can be ignored. More than once I has a tank that was completely empty. Oddly enough it was always my long hose tank which I was donating to my instructor.

I could go on it's a very long long of standards that were violated. Ultimately I think he was banking on the fact that I paid a good chunk of money for private instruction and he figured that since I've spent this much money so far I may as well continue to spend my money with him. While it wasn't in my financial interest to pursue things legally I was in a position to be able to tell hime to fuck off and find a different instructor.

I haven't called him out publicly because of the nature of cave diving politics. However, I have IM'd more than one person regarding my experience with him. I don't know if i'm having an effect or not, but I do know that his instructor business is drying up.

There is a very public fight going on right now between IANTD and a significant number of cave/technical instructors regarding several deaths that have occurred in recent months. It reminds me of when the NACD made a very public fight against Rob Neto. After the dust had settled Rob came away a little bruised and battered but the NACD was left smoldering in ruins. I don't know if the same fate will fall on but their reputation is very damaged right now and the way there responding isn't helping much.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top