Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2016 10:22:48 AM EDT
Where do you mount it? I borrowed one last year from a buddy and it worked GREAT. Looking to get one my self some time down the road.
The one I borrowed was wristed mounted - a bit awkward but otherwise OK. Ive seen mask-mounted units - what else is out there??
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen people use a thick plastic rod, maybe 12" or a bit shorter.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I just use the 8" handle type mount that you hold with a tether on that that goes around my wrist.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine is on a tray with lights. It's a lot more stable this way. Before that I had a mask mount, head strap mount, and a little handheld mount. Crap across the board those were.

Edit: found a phone pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0376_zpsok7rud3j.jpg

Also works with a small underwater still camera

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0377_zpsb1mbfbgi.jpg
View Quote

I have the same Nikon. Thanks for posting those. I was actually wondering if the Nikon would work on a tray. I'm doing to be carrying two cameras (yes, two) on my Lake Huron wreck diving trip next summer. The Nikon and an Intova that does both video and stills. Don't want to be stuck with no working camera for this trip I'm so looking forward to.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mine is on a tray with lights. It's a lot more stable this way. Before that I had a mask mount, head strap mount, and a little handheld mount. Crap across the board those were.

Edit: found a phone pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0376_zpsok7rud3j.jpg

Also works with a small underwater still camera

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0377_zpsb1mbfbgi.jpg
View Quote

I have a similar tray. I forget the brand, but the handles are integrated with the arms connecting to a center bar. BTS maybe? I'm a fan.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a camera tray with a video light arm and a Sola 1200 on it.

I really want to get a set of actual video lights, but that's some serious cash I don't have right now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:31:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a mask mount. I have it tilted so that it crosses my line of sight about 10 feet in front of me. 
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:35:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:48:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My issue with this is it makes it hard to start and stop video, and it can very easily get out of adjustment without you noticing, thus ruining the video.

It's actually why I stopped doing that.
View Quote

I have a little over 30 dives on this set up and so far no issues. Most of the time I dont stop the video during the dive, but have occasionally if Im deeper or in overhead where the light is low. I honk on the bolt really hard and the dive case stays on the mask tyically. I did try a stick for a few dives so I could let the wife have the camera.

My biggest problem honestly is I move my head around ALOT and quickly at times. It makes the editing a bit of a chore!
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#11]

I made this rig. It's basically 3/4 inch PVC tubing that I spray painted matte black. I used 10 speed bicycle foam grips for the side and top handles. The ball mounts at the top are Big Blue Light and Motion ball mounts. The Go Pros are mounted using their bicycle handle bar mounts.

I'm going to make rig 2.0 in a few weeks. The biggest upgrade will be adding about 2 pounds of lead to give it some stability. It's too light as it is and it takes a lot of effort to make a steady shot.

The lights that are shown in the picture are UK Aqualights. Do not waste your money on these. I repeat do not waste your money on these. I have literally sent them back to UK no less than 10 times because the housing keeps cracking on me. They sit on a shelf now and are basically unusable because they'll flood if I take them underwater. I repeat do not waste your money on these.

My other video rig is a Nauticam housing for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera. I have my Go Pro mounted for B-roll footage. The lights are Light and Motion GoBe's. They're a decent light but not enough for this rig. In the future I will pick up a pair of Stella 2000 video lights for it.

The biggest issue with mask mounted cameras is that you get bubble interference when you exhale and every time you turn your head your camera is going to pan. It can be a real pain in the butt to watch. Wrist mounted is okay but you suffer from the same issues when it comes to panning. Every time you move your wrist it's going to pan that camera around.

Your best bet in my opinion for usable footage is to buy or build a tray. It should have some weight to it as this will help steady your shots. You'll want to invest in a decent light(s). Go Pros need a lot of light because of their small sensor and lens. In addition you'll also want to get the appropriate filters for the environment you'll be shooting in. Red for blue water, magenta for green water. Personally, I use Snake River Prototyping filters. If you do these things you can get some good footage out of your Go Pro.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#12]
^nice

Y'all are highrollers....
I diy'ed one out of PVC for a now flooded video camera and put an AR grip to use [post MOE]

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I just hold it in my hand like a baseball.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top