Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I also have to get her to unlean swimming with her hands.
View Quote

That is the hardest to unlearn. I want an underwater cattle prod. Only because trying students hands is a no-no.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am trying to get her to hold her inflator in both hands just to keep them busy.  However, that contradicts me getting her to learn to dump air from her bottom dump too.

I think knock down the biggest problem first.

Hold the inflator and learn to go vertical to dump.  Then add the back inflator.

Eventually, I will replace her and my suicide hooks with snap bolts too.  I need to order some stainless snap bolts and went scrounging when I set our regulators up.  I didn't want to cannibalize an existing set.

We won't be strict DIR but we will be ahead of 99% of most recreational divers when I am through.  Dangling and loose crap is a pet peeve of mine.

Her trim weight finally shipped.

View Quote

I like trigger clips. Easy to use with gloves and very low chance of entaglement.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I like trigger clips. Easy to use with gloves and very low chance of entaglement.
View Quote

I won't get all DIR preachy on you, but those types of clips have a well-earned name of "suicide clips."  I used to use a version of the NightIze clips on my BCD at first until I encountered minor difficulties untangling stuff out of them.  When I read more about technical diving, safety practice, etc., I found that they were a totally unnecessary hazard.  I don't care if it's small or large, the point is to reduce the risk of entanglement, task loading, etc.

This problem has been effectively solved by the boltsnap.  There is no need to think about it.  

divegearexpress.com has top quality boltsnaps for very reasonable prices. You do not have to pay LDS inflated prices for them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Bolt snaps suck. Hate them. Nearly as bad as what I've always called a suicide clip.

You sure you're referring to trigger clips as suicide clips?

Trigger clips

Suicide clip
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been using 'suicide clips' and caribiners for damn near 40 years with no issues with entanglement diving in wrecks and kelp beds or lost gear.

I have had lights drop from trigger clips after being bumped and yes, trigger snaps suck monkey balls.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I've only had bolt snaps come off of gear that I tied to them myself (with #24 cave line) in the beginning of my tech diving journey, because I wasn't using the correct type of knot. Thankfully the $100 backup light the bolt snap was attached to was firmly secured in a piece of bicycle inner-tube on my harness so it wasn't actually lost in the cave.

After I learned what I didn't know (), I've scraped my shit across all manner of rocks, dry ground, truck beds, tank benches, etc. and never lost a single piece of gear.

Bolt snaps FTW

Dive Gear Express FTW

DIR... not so FTW (switching to sidemount this weekend)
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to fish Summersville Lake many years ago.  Extremely deep, extremely clear.  I've caught crappy at 65/70 feet of water while bouncing silver buddies off the bottom.  I've caught small mouth bass in 95 feet of water with those little do-nothing worms, just sort of dragging them along with the trolling motor.

My younger brother did his certification dive at Summersville Lake.  They anchored the boat and dove at that long point about midways up the lake on the left side.  He said it was really weird when they got down to the thermocline (??) and he could stand on the rocks dropping down to the channel below and have his feet/ankles in cold water and his shoulders in warm water.

Biggest WV small mouth I ever caught was just around the bend from that long point.  Fishing at night and caught a 3 lb. 6 oz. small mouth that was 19&3/4" long.  Watching that thing dance across the water in the moonlight was an awesome sight.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've only had bolt snaps come off of gear that I tied to them myself (with #24 cave line) in the beginning of my tech diving journey, because I wasn't using the correct type of knot. Thankfully the $100 backup light the bolt snap was attached to was firmly secured in a piece of bicycle inner-tube on my harness so it wasn't actually lost in the cave.

After I learned what I didn't know (), I've scraped my shit across all manner of rocks, dry ground, truck beds, tank benches, etc. and never lost a single piece of gear.

Bolt snaps FTW

Dive Gear Express FTW

DIR... not so FTW (switching to sidemount this weekend)
View Quote

I should have clarified my earlier hate of bolt snaps
I don't like bolt snaps that are double ended snaps. I've lost gear to them. Single ended are OK, but I still like the trigger. It's just a better feel for where to engage and disengage the snap.

Single ended bolt snap

Double ended bolt snap
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Double-enders DO suck. I hate those fuckers.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top