Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2016 2:42:34 AM EDT
I was just at a vape shop in PA and the guy behind the counter told me that there are new laws coming that will greatly reduce liquid variety and drive prices up, is any of this true?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If there's anything coming, it's regulation, not law.  Given the regime change, I don't see that happening soon, agencies are busier with transition teams than they are doing their regular jobs.  I've been wrong before, though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
There was some sort of regulation already passed, but doesn't go into effect for another 2 years or something, I believe.  Maybe that's what he was talking about.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I just found out we are getting taxed .07 cents per mL.  I bought some local juice on sale for 10 bucks for 30 mL bottles and got 4 bottles and paid almost 9 in tax.  This is getting to be as expensive as smoking was.  People just can't leave shit alone.  They should do that with alcohol.  7 cents a mL tax and watch heads roll.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Jan 1 2017 it goes into effect. The rules were made in June or July. All vape shops now have to have a clean room/hazmat suits to mix the VG/PG or they will have to stop production of house juice. Lots of local shops are folding up on it because it's going to be expensive as hell. My favorite shop that makes badass juice simply merged with another larger shop to help with funding and they're installing the clean room now and I was told it will be like a 5% increase in price which isn't bad.

Just another level of stupid regulation crushing small business.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just found out we are getting taxed .07 cents per mL.  I bought some local juice on sale for 10 bucks for 30 mL bottles and got 4 bottles and paid almost 9 in tax.  This is getting to be as expensive as smoking was.  People just can't leave shit alone.  They should do that with alcohol.  7 cents a mL tax and watch heads roll.
View Quote

What state? PA?  I heard they put an extra tax on juice.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:16:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

West Virginia.  This state taxes everything.  We even had a food tax for a long time and I think they finally lifted it.  I didn't know they put a "sin tax" on vaping until I talked to the guy at the shop.  I always bought juice online.  They banned smoking all over most of the cities, and then decided to include vaping.  I sort of had a feeling years ago this sort of thing was going to happen.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:06:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

West Virginia.  This state taxes everything.  We even had a food tax for a long time and I think they finally lifted it.  I didn't know they put a "sin tax" on vaping until I talked to the guy at the shop.  I always bought juice online.  They banned smoking all over most of the cities, and then decided to include vaping.  I sort of had a feeling years ago this sort of thing was going to happen.
View Quote

I'm honestly surprised that NY hasn't taxed the shit out of ejuice.  Or maybe they have, and I haven't noticed since I buy all of my juice online.  But in a few days when the rest of my stuff comes in, I'll be dipping my feet into DIY ejuice, anyway.  Fingers crossed I don't fuck it up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:35:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Jan 1 2017 it goes into effect. The rules were made in June or July. All vape shops now have to have a clean room/hazmat suits to mix the VG/PG or they will have to stop production of house juice. Lots of local shops are folding up on it because it's going to be expensive as hell. My favorite shop that makes badass juice simply merged with another larger shop to help with funding and they're installing the clean room now and I was told it will be like a 5% increase in price which isn't bad.

Just another level of stupid regulation crushing small business.
View Quote

Just the tobacco lobby buying regs to kill competition.  Nothing to see here, move along.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just the tobacco lobby buying regs to kill competition.  Nothing to see here, move along.
View Quote

I think you're right, but honestly I don't think it's going to work. I started dipping snuff at a ridiculously young age and smoking at 14. I quite smoking at 30 and dipping at 36. My placebo was vaping. Don't even use nicotine anymore, just the mental addiction (I enjoy it) and I know I'm far from the only one. I'm close to 40, still active, can still run a 5k in 23 minutes, still ride my road bike 2500 miles a year minimum with summer rides hitting the 150-250 miles a week level. All of this skyrocketed once off nicotine, even snuff has an effect which I would have never believed. I wanted to run a charity 5k a few years back and it's tough for me to run regardless as my knees are shot (why I picked up road biking) and I was training heavily but really wasn't getting below the 29 minute mark. quitting dipping in the middle of training and within a month the times had dropped drastically.

Vaping doesn't stain teeth, doesn't make your clothes smell, etc etc. I fault no one for smoking and dipping if they enjoy it but I honestly believe the younger people are making the switch faster than people think and that's where the fight is coming from, tobacco lobby is losing more people/money than they care to let on.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
My favorite vape shop was in PA. They had to close because PA passed a new 40% tax on alcohol, cigarettes, and vaping. Part of the law was the day it went onto effect they had to write the state a check for 40% of their inventory value. They had a fire sale and sold off as much as they could then shut the doors.

Place was azurevaping.com
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My favorite vape shop was in PA. They had to close because PA passed a new 40% tax on alcohol, cigarettes, and vaping. Part of the law was the day it went onto effect they had to write the state a check for 40% of their inventory value. They had a fire sale and sold off as much as they could then shut the doors.

Place was azurevaping.com
View Quote

PA used to be the go-to for gas and smokes for us NY'ers near the border.  They raised prices on both.  Gas is now more expensive than NY at the border, and smokes went up $10/carton.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top