Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
So I just recoiled my 3.1 at 1.3 ohms on my MVP and it produces less vapor than my 1.8 builds but the flavor is markedly better, normal?

Also I didn't think the MVP fired below 1.5
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lcoates33:

Have you checked the meter it self? I literally today had a lead on my fluke go to shit. It was adding 19ohms onto my reading. I wonder if yours is doing the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By inthe605:
Bought a kayfun 3.1 in the big city today to sit on top of the Pro-vari I bought on Monday.  

I'm kinda struggling with these coils. So far I've rolled 3 or them and they ohm'd out 1.6-2.0 using a Fluke multimeter. But as soon as I hit the fire button E1 has popped up every time. Even got an E8 for a fraction of a second on the last one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Have you checked the meter it self? I literally today had a lead on my fluke go to shit. It was adding 19ohms onto my reading. I wonder if yours is doing the same.

Wouldn't know how to check the fluke if I wanted to. What I do have now it is red hot coil starting at the center.  

I think I'm winning right now.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Wouldn't know how to check the fluke if I wanted to. What I do have now it is red hot coil starting at the center.  

View All Quotes
Bought a kayfun 3.1 in the big city today to sit on top of the Pro-vari I bought on Monday.  

I'm kinda struggling with these coils. So far I've rolled 3 or them and they ohm'd out 1.6-2.0 using a Fluke multimeter. But as soon as I hit the fire button E1 has popped up every time. Even got an E8 for a fraction of a second on the last one.

Sounds like you got the "short" part ironed out.

For the meter, just touch the leads together to get a baseline reading... then read something and subtract the baseline reading to get the actual. If the reading is high enough to irratate you, do what i did and order new leads.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:37:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: privateer1967] [#4]
Picked up an Ehpro Kfl today,  first coil was 30 gauge, 8 wraps, came out to 2 ohms with organic cotton, using an mvp at 10.5 watts and loving every bit of it!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

E1 is the error code for a short on a Provari. Double check your posts and coil to make sure you'r not shorting out somewhere.

When wrapping coils for a device to be used on a Provari, you really don't need to use an external meter. Once you've got your coil wrapped and mounted, lower the Provari's voltage to 3.5 or so (to make sure you don't exceed the current limits if your coil is a bit low). Then use the Provari's built in meter to measure your coil resistance. It's very accurate. Then adjust your voltage back to get your desired wattage. You can usually get as high as 14 watts without a problem on a Provari.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:29:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: andy45247] [#6]
i am having a problem with a short with a HCigar Kayfun 3.1 Clone that i just got today. First rebuild able so i was very excited to give it a try. Built it up once coil ran well, about 1.8 ohms, however i didn't clean it out good enough and could taste  a faint metallic taste.

So i took it all apart and gave it a nice soupy hot water bathe. Now the problem is every time i screw on the inner housing tube that goes around the coil it shorts. It works fine without it. Coil heats up no problem. I built 2 coils and both short when i screw on the housing.

The wires are good, no contact with the housing. I think the long post that  has the air flow tube is making contact with the housing and shorting it out, but am not 100%. Any one have any insight?

ETA:
Ok got some pics up here . I tried to get some good shots with the tube on but those 2 where the best i could do. If you need more pics at different angles let me know. thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:21:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCAPI] [#8]
I've read the build guide a bunch of times. Now I'm waiting on my stuff to get here. I've been looking at different local vape shops web pages & found a local shop that has a 'Build' night every Wednesday night, 7-10pm. Think I'll go check it out while I'm waiting. I can try some e-juice & get some juice to start with, too.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:46:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Enlightenme556] [#9]
Originally Posted By andy45247:
i am having a problem with a short with a HCigar Kayfun 3.1 Clone that i just got today. First rebuild able so i was very excited to give it a try. Built it up once coil ran well, about 1.8 ohms, however i didn't clean it out good enough and could taste  a faint metallic taste.

So i took it all apart and gave it a nice soupy hot water bathe. Now the problem is every time i screw on the inner housing tube that goes around the coil it shorts. It works fine without it. Coil heats up no problem. I built 2 coils and both short when i screw on the housing.

The wires are good, no contact with the housing. I think the long post that  has the air flow tube is making contact with the housing and shorting it out, but am not 100%. Any one have any insight?

ETA:
Ok got some pics up here . I tried to get some good shots with the tube on but those 2 where the best i could do. If you need more pics at different angles let me know. thanks.
View Quote

Looks like It's hanging over the edge a little and making contact with the chimney.

Loosen the screw on the underside a bit, slide the post towards the center, just a bit, and screw it tight again. Easy peasy.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:02:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: andy45247] [#10]
Originally Posted By Enlightenme556:

Looks like It's hanging over the edge a little and making contact with the chimney.

Loosen the screw on the underside a bit, slide the post towards the center, just a bit, and screw it tight again. Easy peasy.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Enlightenme556:
Originally Posted By andy45247:

ETA:

This got it working, thank you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my Provari Mini today & it had a new coil prebuilt on it @1.5 ohms..... Got a wick in it & man this thing hits hard........

One thing not listed & I didn't know, is Cotton Balls are Rolled Up Lengths of Cotton...... So Look for the Starting Line & Unroll the Cotton Ball......

OP, you might want to add that to your instructions, for someone like me that didn't Know that....  
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#12]
is this build suitable for using with a mech mod?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Panther1911:
View Quote

4.2V @ 1.6 Ohms is 11 Watts.. @ 1.5 Ohms is 11.8 Watts.....

Here's a Chart from SvoeMesto...... Ohms on top......Volts on the left side.......

Looks like they think 8-12 Watts is the sweet spot.............

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:26:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Keith1980:

IMO not really. Personally I like around 1 ohm for a mech build on my Kayfuns. Everything is the same except I do 9.5 wraps with 26g wire. I get .96 ohms pretty consistently.YMMV though. Some people like higher ohms.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Keith1980:

IMO not really. Personally I like around 1 ohm for a mech build on my Kayfuns. Everything is the same except I do 9.5 wraps with 26g wire. I get .96 ohms pretty consistently.YMMV though. Some people like higher ohms.

So you're starting about 17.5-18W on a full 4.2V battery......

How low of a Voltage to you run it to? 3.6-3.5?  

How do you know you need to change your battery?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:17:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

so i made my first kayfun coil yesterday, it wasnt as pretty as the OP it came in at 1.7 ohms

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#20]

so i made my first kayfun coil yesterday, it wasnt as pretty as the OP it came in at 1.7 ohms

View All Quotes

What wattage are you all running on your 1.6 to 1.8 builds?  I will be running it on a DNA 30 mod clone for reference.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By OBrien33:
What wattage are you all running on your 1.6 to 1.8 builds?  I will be running it on a DNA 30 mod clone for reference.
View All Quotes

Look up about 5 Posts @ the chart I posted..... the area in Green is a good starting point for Voltage/Wattage.....

Then slowly move up & see how it reacts.........

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:52:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Panther1911] [#22]

View All Quotes

11-12w

Mosty closer to 11.5-12
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#23]

11-12w
Mosty closer to 11.5-12
View All Quotes

11-12w
Mosty closer to 11.5-12
That's right in line with the Chart I posted......

Here's a Chart from SvoeMesto...... Ohms on top......Volts on the left side.......
Looks like they think 8-12 Watts is the sweet spot.............

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Today I was running my 1.1ohm kayfun on the dna30 at 15w
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I understood the chart but was just wondering other people's preferences. Specs don't always match up to what is good after trying it out
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#26]

I understood the chart but was just wondering other people's preferences. Specs don't always match up to what is good after trying it out
View Quote
Someone else posted in one of these threads, the chart is before People were wicking with Cotton & the cotton wicks could pull Juice faster to keep up with the extra heat.....

But it's a good starting point, either way.........

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Start at low wattage and work your way up.  You'll feel when you hit a satisfying wattage.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:
Start at low wattage and work your way up.  You'll feel when you hit a satisfying wattage.
View All Quotes

IMHO, it depends on how big the Juice channels are on Your Version of a Kayfun, too........  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DVCAPI:
IMHO, it depends on how big the Juice channels are on Your Version of a Kayfun, too........  

View All Quotes

The 'start low and work your way up' method still works.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Yes it does......  

But someone with huge Juice Channels saying they can Vape @ X watts, doesn't help if you have tiny ones.........

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#31]
That's what she said...

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#32]

That's what she said...

View Quote
Sorry for You...... No Woman has ever said I have a Tiny One.........

I guess the Mouse Theme is for other stuff, too..........

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
That's what she said...

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Mouse drunk texted me a dick pic by accident once.  Now I see how he was able to land a pretty wife.

Warning.  Not for the faint of heart, NSFW, and might ruin your childhood memories:

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:15:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCAPI] [#35]
Good thing this thread is still up.... Haven't used my KF 3.1  clone for a couple of years... Rolled the Coil the wrong direction on my first try..

Had to review how to build on it.....  Rolling the Coil the other direction, solved that problem......

My ProVari Mini doesn't like the 1.20 build I made.... Guess I need a 1.5 or higher build....
Running on a Mech. Will go back and build a higher ohm coil for the PV, after I Vape this half Tank....

Tried it again and got the PV Working....... 
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I wonder if anyone is doing new coil builds and would like to share some "Newer" tips and tricks for coil building.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top