Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keith1980:
Yea. Use a good dish soap like Dawn. I put a shit ton of soap in a big cup with hot water and let it soak. After the water wasn't hot I took out the kayfun, rinsed, scrubbed, and repeated a few more times. And this probably goes without saying but take the kayfun completely apart and soak all the pieces.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By mizzarley:

Finally home and un packed me gear, whats the best way to clean the machine oil out of the Kayfun? Soap and water? Halp!

Yea. Use a good dish soap like Dawn. I put a shit ton of soap in a big cup with hot water and let it soak. After the water wasn't hot I took out the kayfun, rinsed, scrubbed, and repeated a few more times. And this probably goes without saying but take the kayfun completely apart and soak all the pieces.

Just got mine in the mail from Luxor Vapes.

When you say to take it completely apart, you mean even the screws that hold the coil?

This thing has so many damn parts I hope I can get it back together!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By tbonifie:

When you say to take it completely apart, you mean even the screws that hold the coil?

View All Quotes
Finally home and un packed me gear, whats the best way to clean the machine oil out of the Kayfun? Soap and water? Halp!

Yea. Everything!!! You wanna make sure no machine oil is down in the threads. I washed them over a plate in case I dropped them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Well...

Everything is washed.

But the screw on the smaller post appears stripped.  It won't tighten down and comes out by simply picking it up with pliers.

I don't think it's the screw that's stripped, pretty sure it's the post threads.  I didn't even get a chance to mount the first coil.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, it's the post threads.

Both screws are loose when tried in that post, and work fine in the other.

Damn.

Wonder what size tap I'd need to fix it...
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, it's the post threads.

Both screws are loose when tried in that post, and work fine in the other.

Damn.

Wonder what size tap I'd need to fix it...
View Quote

Damn that sucks!! Email them ASAP and see what they say. I wouldn't tap it out yet because they may not do a swap if you messed with it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I sent them a note and they asked for a photo of the part in question so they know what to replace.  Sounds like they are responsive and are going to make it right.

I'm just bummed because I was so psyched up for this tonight!

I'm not going to tap it, it's just too small and I'm afraid I'd screw it up further.  I'm ok with larger stuff, but something this small... I think I'll just let them replace it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I sent them a note and they asked for a photo of the part in question so they know what to replace.  Sounds like they are responsive and are going to make it right.

I'm just bummed because I was so psyched up for this tonight!

I'm not going to tap it, it's just too small and I'm afraid I'd screw it up further.  I'm ok with larger stuff, but something this small... I think I'll just let them replace it.
View Quote

Shitty! Sucks to be so close, and so far away. I hope the send out a replacement asap.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Just came back to post my customer service experience with Luxor Vapes.

These guys are seriously on top of things.  They asked for a photo of the part that needed replacing, confirmed it with a photo of their own, and sent out the new part with tracking #'s all in less than 24 hours.

VERY responsive, very easy to deal with.  I will definitely be doing business with them again if they have anything I want/need.

It seems I will be back up with the new atomizer in a couple of days when the part arrives in the mail.  They are not even requiring me to send back the bad part (which may mean they've seen this issue a lot, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt).  Even if the product had a defect, they make up for it with their flawless customer service.

Good folks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
^Noice!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh hell. I just bought another one from Luxor Vapes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

"Oh hell" good or "Oh hell" bad?  

I think they're probably just fine, and customer service appears to be very good.

Can't wait to finally get one in and start vaping like a pro...

Got my 100ft of Kanthal, my boiled cotton (which, incidentally, has now had plenty of time to dry)... all I need is that one broken part replaced and I should be good to go!

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#12]
what cotton do I get?
do i have to boil it??
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By LilTate:
what cotton do I get?
do i have to boil it??
View Quote

I use "organic" cotton, and I don't boil it.  Works great.

Got an 80ct cottonball bag from Walgreens for about $4.  It will last forever.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#14]

I think they're probably just fine, and customer service appears to be very good.

Got my 100ft of Kanthal, my boiled cotton (which, incidentally, has now had plenty of time to dry)... all I need is that one broken part replaced and I should be good to go!

View All Quotes

Good. I already have one and love it. I can't tell the difference between it and the real thing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:

View All Quotes
what cotton do I get?
do i have to boil it??

Awesome thanks NY SHooter.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#16]

what cotton do I get?

do i have to boil it??

View Quote

The video posted on page 1 said to boil it, but if you're using new, clean, organic cotton, I wouldn't bother.

I simply pulled two cotton balls out of the bag my wife keeps in the bathroom, so I figured it would be a good idea to boil and rinse in distilled water as the video stated.  Can't hurt, anyway.

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#17]
^Protip. If your gunna boil your cotton here's how to dry it. Dump it in a strainer, squeeze out as much water as you can after it cools. Re-fluff it as best as you can by separating the balls and shredding them just a bit. Then dump them into a medium sized dish towl. Tie off the towel with some paracord like a hobo sack and toss it in the dryer on low. Check it every 15 min or so. Profit!
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#18]
^Protip. If your gunna boil your cotton here's how to dry it. Dump it in a strainer, squeeze out as much water as you can after it cools. Re-fluff it as best as you can by separating the balls and shredding them just a bit. Then dump them into a medium sized dish towl. Tie off the towel with some paracord like a hobo sack and toss it in the dryer on low. Check it every 15 min or so. Profit!
View Quote

Hey, thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I got the replacement part for my Kayfun Clone today, and, well, I have to say, while their customer service was good, the Kayfun Clone I got from Luxor is quite disappointing so far.  

* the threads on the atomizer are pretty rough, and the replacement part does NOT meld well with the threads on the original pieces I recieved.  Even those were a little rough, but putting them together with the replacement part, I thought I was going to strip threads getting it on there.  I didn't strip any threads and did eventually get it together, but it's just not machined that well.

* It's already leaking.  I made a coil following the instructions, put the whole thing together, and I'm already getting gurgling when I draw on it, plus if I tip it so the air-hole is facing down, it's just drip-drip-drip.

* This part's probably my own inexperience, but so far, my 10-coil, cotton wick atomizer is NOT producing tons of vapor.  The taste is ok, and vapor production is just so-so, no better than my Vision Victory.  I'm sure that will be rectified in time, but if I can't get it to stop leaking, it's a non-starter in any case.  (I'm using home-made 50/50 PG/VG juice at 13.5W).

<sigh>

I hope I didn't just waste forty bucks on this thing.

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I got the Kayfun 3.1 Clone by Hcigar recommended to me on this forum and it works well. It took me 3 tries to get a coil right but it now works as expected. I am only running it at 9.5 watts so I don't cloud the house. This gives a slighter greater volume than my Iclear30s
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I got the replacement part for my Kayfun Clone today, and, well, I have to say, while their customer service was good, the Kayfun Clone I got from Luxor is quite disappointing so far.  

* the threads on the atomizer are pretty rough, and the replacement part does NOT meld well with the threads on the original pieces I recieved.  Even those were a little rough, but putting them together with the replacement part, I thought I was going to strip threads getting it on there.  I didn't strip any threads and did eventually get it together, but it's just not machined that well.

* It's already leaking.  I made a coil following the instructions, put the whole thing together, and I'm already getting gurgling when I draw on it, plus if I tip it so the air-hole is facing down, it's just drip-drip-drip.

* This part's probably my own inexperience, but so far, my 10-coil, cotton wick atomizer is NOT producing tons of vapor.  The taste is ok, and vapor production is just so-so, no better than my Vision Victory.  I'm sure that will be rectified in time, but if I can't get it to stop leaking, it's a non-starter in any case.  (I'm using home-made 50/50 PG/VG juice at 13.5W).

<sigh>

View Quote

Might not help anyone help you any better, but how about a pic of your coils/wicks?

Maybe we can see something that looks out of place.

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#22]

<sigh>

View Quote

I know clones are way cheaper than the real thing, but in the long run,  they don't seem to be.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Might not help anyone help you any better, but how about a pic of your coils/wicks?

View All Quotes

<sigh>

It's vaping alright now, it seems to have gotten better over time.  I'm not terribly worried about that part, as I'm sure it will improve with experimentation.

It's the leaking that I can't live with in the end.  If this things leaks every time I turn it the wrong way, I'll have to find something else.

Taking it apart and looking it over, there is only one possible path for the juice to get down to the air vent: straight down the center hole just under the coil.  I honestly can't see how or why that would happen.

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I may have found the problem.  I don't think I left enough wick when I cut it, so one of the holes that juice flows through is totally open.  

So when I tip it to the side, too much juice flows through the hole and past the wick, then ends up getting dumped down the center hole.

I took it apart and cleaned it up, I'm going to change out the wick and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:00:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MkTwain] [#25]
Continuing the saga...

I built a new coil (messed up the last one poking around at it), and put a more full wick in there.

It's definitely leaking through the center air vent under the coil.  I can take the top off the atomizer assembly and remove the chimney pipe and see the juice pooling in there when I tilt it to the side.

I'm thinking maybe the holes to let the juice in are a wee bit too large or something.  The only thing I can think of to slow down the leak is either 1) don't tilt it, or 2) put a bunch of cotton in there along the sides to keep it from pooling and dripping down the vent.

Seems like maybe this type of problem would be common to nearly all Kayfun type atomizers?  Or am I out to lunch on that point?

ETA: I guess the other solution might be to fill the tank with less juice and just refill more often, though that seems to defeat the point of having a larger tank...???

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Lets take one issue at the time.

Continuing the saga...

I built a new coil (messed up the last one poking around at it), and put a more full wick in there.

It's definitely leaking through the center air vent under the coil.  I can take the top off the atomizer assembly and remove the chimney pipe and see the juice pooling in there when I tilt it to the side.
[i]This sounds like you are flooding the unit, this usually happens when you are re-filling the tank.  Are you re-filling via the fill hole or from the top?[/i]

I'm thinking maybe the holes to let the juice in are a wee bit too large or something.  The only thing I can think of to slow down the leak is either 1) don't tilt it, or 2) put a bunch of cotton in there along the sides to keep it from pooling and dripping down the vent.

[i]I tilt mine with no issues. [/i]

Seems like maybe this type of problem would be common to nearly all Kayfun type atomizers?  Or am I out to lunch on that point?

ETA: I guess the other solution might be to fill the tank with less juice and just refill more often, though that seems to defeat the point of having a larger tank...???
View Quote

I think this will depend on which method you use to re-flii.
Where is your re-fill hole?  Is it on the bottom of the unit or is it on the lower section of the atty?
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Continuing the saga...

View Quote

You have me all sorts of worried.. I got my Kayfun 3.1 clone from Hcigar in the mail yesterday but haven't built it yet.

The Kayfun lite plus clone i'm vaping on right now has been awesome in every aspect so far though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By resteva:

Where is your re-fill hole?  Is it on the bottom of the unit or is it on the lower section of the atty?
View All Quotes

Continuing the saga...

[i]This sounds like you are flooding the unit, this usually happens when you are re-filling the tank.  Are you re-filling via the fill hole or from the top?[/i]

LOL!  So I think I just figured out what that other hole across from the air vent is for, to fill it with a syringe, right?

That's a dang small hole.  What size syringe would I use for that?  

Yes, I'm filling from the top.

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Also, I am noticing now leaving a bit more wick to fill in around the sides it's working much better, no leaking so far...

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Got the same issues.  
SvoeMesto Kayfun 3.1

I am filling through side port with blunt needle
Getting great flavor and vape clouds but,

Spring seems to catch on side fill port and
Leaking through air hole and gurgling/spitting up
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Also, I am noticing now leaving a bit more wick to fill in around the sides it's working much better, no leaking so far...

View Quote

Longer wick seemed to fix it eh?

Im giving this a try tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

The side fill hole has a spring latch you push in with a blunt needle tip. Mine took quite a bit to push in the first time. Then leaked alittle when filling.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#33]

LOL!  So I think I just figured out what that other hole across from the air vent is for, to fill it with a syringe, right?

View All Quotes

Continuing the saga...

You got it.  P Basurdo has a very good youtube video on how to fill the Kayfun from the top and from the fill hole.  From the top has to be done a very specific way, if not, then it floods.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#34]

You got it.  P Basurdo has a very good youtube video on how to fill the Kayfun from the top and from the fill hole.  From the top has to be done a very specific way, if not, then it floods.
View All Quotes

Continuing the saga...

Link to the video? I'm just curious what he says.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Here is the link you asked for.  Jump to the 30:40 mark if all you want is to see how to fill from the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWrFsa6YOaE
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Here is the link you asked for.  Jump to the 30:40 mark if all you want is to see how to fill from the top.

View Quote

Hahah. Holy shit, i've been doing it wrong too, thanks dude!
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

This seems to help.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#38]
So after doing 2 things, the leaking is stopped, and the vaping is pretty good:  1) Make sure the cotton covers the liquid channels inside the chimney and 2) follow the video instructions for filling from the top.

I'm no longer unhappy with this atomizer, in fact, at this point, it's the best I've ever used!

Even the rough threads seem to be smoothed out after putting it together and taking it apart several times.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Yep, Thanks man. This helped alot. Did mine over today and it turned out perfect. Think I just went too fast with setting down the cotton.

Also did a Patriot RDA with dual coils and a 8 wrap micro with cotton for a protank.
Fucking love to tinker, so much more satisfying than smoking.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#40]
My Kayfun Lite Plus just showed up from 101vapes about two hours ago.  

FUCKING AWESOME.

it's just fucking awesome.  

Had to play with the airflow screw a bit to get the pull right ( so the juice flows in the correct amount )   other than that WOW.

I must say the machining is nice,   fit and finish on the thing is really good.  The only downside is it didn't come with the clear tank section.   No biggie though,  I'll just snag one from fasttech for a couple of bucks and wait a month or two for it to show up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 1:05:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Not all HCigar Kayfuns are created equal.  I just got my second one in today. Everything is great as far as threading, fit, and finish. There is one major difference though. The juice channels. The horizontal ones are fine. The verticals, however, are not. There is almost no channel at the top. When I screw on the bottom part of the chamber you can't see any opening where the channels should be. My dremel took a shit so it's off to the store tomorrow to but a new one and remedy this problem. On a side note I did the dremel routine on a Tobeco Kayfun. It outperformed my buddys' real Kayfun.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 10:51:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torchwick] [#42]
What is this filling from the side or top? Mine is the clone of the russian and fills thru a removable screw from the bottom
after everything is assembled. I will have to watch the video.

Edit: this is the one I got from my shop. Anyone use this type and have any issues at all?

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1/10006473/1612101-russian-91-styled-rebuildable-atomizer-4-5ml
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#43]
So how many companies are making these KayFuns?

Saw some EHPro versions on eBay for a decent price.  Anyone know if they are any good?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 7:17:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenM4Guy] [#44]
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GreenM4Guy:
Im using the ehpro, i havent had any of the issues the hcigars have had. It also comes with a full size plastic tank and a the small plastic tank that goes in between the SS.

No leaks. Im super happy with it. Be careful with the plastic tank though, thug juice did a number on mine, and is already showing some cracks.

I got mine from eciggity, i believe it was like $45.

This pic shows what i mean about the full size tank.

http://www.vividsmoke.com/image/cache/data/accessories/rba/ehpro-kayfun-lite-plus-650x650.jpg
View Quote

Good to know, thanks.

So both tanks it comes with are plastic?  Do they make a glass tank for it?  Or is that middle one, which appears to be solid metal, the only way to use tank-cracking juices with it?

Link Posted: 2/3/2014 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#47]
So how often do you replace the wicks on these?

I'm assuming to keep the taste clean it would be every couple of days?
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#48]
So how often do you replace the wicks on these?

I'm assuming to keep the taste clean it would be every couple of days?
View Quote

I have a week on my current wick, but if i change juice or get a bad taste i'll swap it out.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By GreenM4Guy:
Yeah both are plastic, for some reason the small one hasn't been bothered by my juices. I assume it is just a matter of time though, ive been told the parts are interchangeable with the real Kayfun, but i haven't looked to see if they have a Pyrex tank for it. I like to see how much liquid ive got left.
View Quote

OK, thanks.

Link Posted: 2/3/2014 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top