Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2017 12:42:29 PM EDT
I'm in a stupid phase of my life where I have to wear a suit and tie every day. I mostly go with Windsor knots but occasionally use a four in the hand although I view that as a little more of a casual knot. What other knots are worth knowing?  What knots are going to wow the boss at big meetings? What knots are going to "get to yes" during a sales pitch? I know a tie knot is not going to make or break a deal but I also know that there are execs pipe swingers out there who notice small details like that.

What are arfcoms favorite knots for sealing those multimillion dollar deals or for going on dates with all the supermodels?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you are tying a full Windsor, also called a double Windsor. Makes a fuller knot than the [too] common half Windsor.

Keep your shoes shined. I think you would be surprised at how many top executives will notice properly shined shoes, or, conversely, shoes that aren't maintained or properly shined.

Full Windsor: https://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=Windsor+Tie+knot&s_it=video-ans&sfVid=true&videoId=BFD7B19936FCC1433863BFD7B19936FCC1433863&s_chn=prt_bon&v_t=comsearch
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm in a stupid phase of my life where I have to wear a suit and tie every day. I mostly go with Windsor knots but occasionally use a four in the hand although I view that as a little more of a casual knot. What other knots are worth knowing?  What knots are going to wow the boss at big meetings? What knots are going to "get to yes" during a sales pitch? I know a tie knot is not going to make or break a deal but I also know that there are execs pipe swingers out there who notice small details like that.

What are arfcoms favorite knots for sealing those multimillion dollar deals or for going on dates with all the supermodels?
View Quote

It really depends on the shirt collar you are wearing.  A full windsor knot is a big, bulky knot, and lends itself to collars with a wider opening, like a spread or even cutaway collar.  It doesn't really look good with a collar with a more narrow opening, like a point collar.  Conversely, a four in hand knot is fairly narrow, and doesn't fill up the space on a wider collar, but looks good in a straight collar, tab collar, or eyelet collar.  The Full Windsor also uses up a lot of tie.  I like the Half Windsor, but it's a bit asymmetrical.  I haven't used a Four In Hand since college.  

All are basic variations on the same theme, but again, depending on the collar, I would know the Full Windsor, Half Windsor, the Four In Hand, and the Pratt knot.  I find the Pratt knot to be the most versatile and easy to adapt to most collar types, and is very symmetrical and sharp looking.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I never wear a full windsor.  I tie a half 99.9% of the time.  Sometimes a four in hand depending on the tie.  Even with my spread collar shirts, I prefer space on either side of the tie as opposed to a FW.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
When I used to have to wear ties everyday, was always a half windsor.  It fit well with the collar type I preferred.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Trinity is a fun one and looks awesome with the right pattern.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:00:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I have tied a full Windsor for years but have recently learned it is very much out of style. From multiple sources I might add. I am switching to four in hand.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep your shoes shined. I think you would be surprised at how many top executives will notice properly shined shoes, or, conversely, shoes that aren't maintained or properly shined.
View Quote
This was my experience as well
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Attention to detail.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Call me boring, but I usually just use a Full Windsor. I probably see more people with Half Windsors than any other knot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 1:05:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Four in hand is all you need.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I only wear a four in hand or a Pratt (for a wide cutaway collar).
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Four in hand is all you need.
View Quote
I wear a four in hand or a bow tie most days.  I frequently wear button down collars, so that makes sense.  I occasionally wear a full Windsor when the mood hits me and I have a point or spread collar on.  I am pretty tall thought, so sometimes the tie isn't' long enough for the full Windsor.

Interestingly, I read somewhere that the Duke of Windsor himself did not actually use the Windsor knot attributed to him.  Instead, he had his ties custom made and cut extra wide to make a big knot.  Don't if that is true.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top