Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2016 10:56:51 PM EDT
I'm not sure what color to get and I don't think I can get an exact match for my suit color/material.  I have a christmas party on saturday and I'm looking to dress a little differently than normal and a vest would look nice on me.  Are there any rules as far as mixing colors with these things?  (I don't want to look like a bartender if I don't wear the jacket.)
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Take suit to a habadashery, 'splain desire. Not Arfcom

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

The name of this forum:  Grooming and Haberdashery
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK  I'd go dark green.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#4]
If it didn't come as a 3 piece suit, don't try to half ass match the vest. That will look half ass.

Go with the dark green, blue or maroon or something like that.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what color to get and I don't think I can get an exact match for my suit color/material.  I have a christmas party on saturday and I'm looking to dress a little differently than normal and a vest would look nice on me.  Are there any rules as far as mixing colors with these things?  (I don't want to look like a bartender if I don't wear the jacket.)
View Quote

I don't think you're going to get away with doing that.  If you're set on wearing a vest, I'd probably try to go with an odd jacket and dress trousers, you get a lot more leeway with that than a proper suit.

Upon more thought, I suppose you might get away with it depending on the fabric, but I still don't think I would try it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Seems kind of split down the middle on that one as well.  OP, might as well wear the suit you have in mind to the store, and try the vests on while wearing the suit.  If you think it looks sharp, that's all that really matters.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#8]
young man in our choral group wore a DARK purple vest and bow tie with a black suit last year, looked pretty sharp..

Once upon a time I was a clothes whore, Armani,  Cardin, Saint Laurant etc.. I don't own many, but owned quality..and still picky about
what I wear, but don't have the pocket book anymore..(or the body)
Hence my previous comment..
good luck, I"d try to get a close to the fabric of the suit as I could OR go with a brocade fabric with a soft look..
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#9]
get a color that complements the tie that you plan to wear.  

Also, make sure that the vest is long enough to cover your belt in front.  Seeing shirt ballooning out from under a vest is a sure tip off that you don't know how to buy clothes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I've tried to match up a vest with a suit, and never had any luck.  Either the color or the fabric would always be off.  I finally gave up.

My advice would be to find a contrasting color that would work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top