Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2016 7:41:23 PM EDT
I recently learned about jeans made with selvedge denim and/or raw denim. It seems very interesting to me since this is apparently how jeans "used to be made."

From what I'm reading they aren't supposed to be washed/dried like other garments, but rather cold rinsed and line dried to maintain the indigo. And they are supposed to be worn for 6-12 months before their first rinsing. Apparently this makes them conform to your body which makes them truly custom looking and fitting as opposed to jeans that have a "washed/worn" look from the store.

Do any of you guys have any experience with blue jeans made from selvedge/raw denim?
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a hipster thing.  Usually associated with elaborate facial hair (handlebar mustache, lumberjack beard, etc.).  Possibly related to the lumbersexual meme.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#2]
the quality of the denim from these small manufacturer's is 10x what you find at the typical department store. its like the difference of a neckbeard ar15 put together from bargain bin parts versus a knights armament.

the japanese brands are really good. you can buy japanese from an american source at blueingreen.com or blueowlworkshop. or straight from japan at denimio. or if you prefer american--look up tellason or raleigh denim.

be aware there is sanforized or unsanforized. sanforized is already mostly shrunk down. you can also buy once washed to avoid having to guess if you have the right size pre soak.

you dont have to not wash your denim, i think most people do a hand wash every 3 months or so. the not washing at all is kind of weird and ive heard the fabric will begin to rip. just dont put it in the drier.

to figure out which size you need, take measurements on a pair of jeans you own that fit you well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I ordered some the other day from bravestarselvage.com.  The appeal to me is that they are US made, and I am hoping they last longer than the jeans I've currently been wearing.  Unfortunately, they were about 2 sizes too small, so I am having to exchange them.  Super expensive, but you usually get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Have been wearing Unbranded UB301 jeans for years now. High quality denim that lasts and feels much sturdier than typical Levis/Dept Store jeans. Wear for six months, toss in the bathtub with some Woolite dark while inside out. Soak, light agitate, wring out, air dry. Wear. Some say they are hipster, I think they are just damn good jeans. Just don't get the skinny ones!

Also... read each manufacturers sizing as they are NOT like your current jeans.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a lot of work to deal with what began as durable work wear.....

I'm sorry but holy hell.  I don't have the time or energy to devote to something that is by design....not able to be cared for using modern, ubiquitous cleaning tech.

I don't wear dry clean only clothes either.  Or hand wash only.  If it can't go through the wash machine, I don't wear it.  Formal dress clothes are exempt because I might put them on 1x a year.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the quality of the denim from these small manufacturer's is 10x what you find at the typical department store. its like the difference of a neckbeard ar15 put together from bargain bin parts versus a knights armament.

the japanese brands are really good. you can buy japanese from an american source at blueingreen.com or blueowlworkshop. or straight from japan at denimio. or if you prefer american--look up tellason or raleigh denim.

be aware there is sanforized or unsanforized. sanforized is already mostly shrunk down. you can also buy once washed to avoid having to guess if you have the right size pre soak.

you dont have to not wash your denim, i think most people do a hand wash every 3 months or so. the not washing at all is kind of weird and ive heard the fabric will begin to rip. just dont put it in the drier.

to figure out which size you need, take measurements on a pair of jeans you own that fit you well.
View Quote
I was in a dojo where we used a very heavy duty canvas Judo gi.  After a while mine would always start to rip.  Finally someone asked me how often I washed it, and I said every week.  She then asked what I did with them when I got home.  I told her I basically threw them in a pile.  She said that I needed to hang them up and air them put, because the seat was making the canvass wet, and staying wet was rotting the fabric, causing it to weaken.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a lot of work to deal with what began as durable work wear.....

I'm sorry but holy hell.  I don't have the time or energy to devote to something that is by design....not able to be cared for using modern, ubiquitous cleaning tech.

I don't wear dry clean only clothes either.  Or hand wash only.  If it can't go through the wash machine, I don't wear it.  Formal dress clothes are exempt because I might put them on 1x a year.
View Quote
I think the actual point is that YOU DON'T need to fuss with them.

I ended up buying some selvedge jeans from the Gap. I've worn them a dozen times and I haven't bothered washing them.

They fit great and look very nice. And they don't smell like sour ass either.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I consider technology that allows one to machine ways and dry their pants, and for their pants not to bleed die over everything, to be an advance, and a positive thing.

The hipster trend to stink and disagree, is more of a negative thing.

YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top