Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2016 10:04:23 AM EDT
I have recently bought this suit. It is a dark brown/gray with navy windowpayne
" />

I have these shoes, which would you go with?

Allen Edmonds McCallister Wingtips in Bourbon
" />

Allen Edmonds Strands in Dark Brown
" />

Allen Edmonds Strands in Walnut
" />

Allen Edmonds Strands in Chilli. The one in the middle standing up.
" />

What color socks? Would you try to natch the pants? Go lighter? Darker?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Top wing tips with lighter colored brown socks
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#2]
this is not GD
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Gray suit?  

Black shoes - Oxfords - Not loafers.

Black socks.  Black belt.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Up until about two, three years ago, I would have said the exact same thing, and, in fact still personally subscribe to this.
But, it seems that the trend has been to go to browns and burgundies with the grey to black suits.
So in the pic that was posted, any of those shoes would be appropriate, and quite fashionable..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gray suit?  

Black shoes - Oxfords - Not loafers.

Black socks.  Black belt.

Up until about two, three years ago, I would have said the exact same thing, and, in fact still personally subscribe to this.
But, it seems that the trend has been to go to browns and burgundies with the grey to black suits.
So in the pic that was posted, any of those shoes would be appropriate, and quite fashionable..

I'm on board with wearing the black oxfords and black socks with gray suits since you really can't go wrong with it, but you have to admit it's a very somber combination.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Any of the brown shoes may be worn with the gray suit in all but the most conservative or formal environs.  The socks may be matched with the suit or (possibly) the shoes but a more stylish approach would be a sock that compliments the shirt or tie, with the intended audience dictating the level of contrast from the suit.

I like the wingtips, but since you said the suit is brown/gray and I can't be sure of the true color it would be difficult to pick without seeing how the browns interact.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the feedback. I did the best I could describing the color of the suit. It leans more toward brown than gray. I think the general consensus is to go with the Bourbon Wingtips. That is what I was leaning toward. I will more than likely go with a sock that is closer to the pant color than the shoe. Am I on track with the sock? The reason I am not going with the socks matching the shirt is I am wearing a light blue shirt and I can't go light blue socks... It's just not me.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Match the socks with the trousers, not the shoes.  As long as you're in the same ballpark colorwise, you'll be fine.  Grays and browns are fairly unobtrusive colors anyway.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Match the socks with the trousers, not the shoes.  As long as you're in the same ballpark colorwise, you'll be fine.  Grays and browns are fairly unobtrusive colors anyway.
View Quote

This the socks match the pants. The trend now is to wear some funky pattern sock. Me no likey

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This the socks match the pants. The trend now is to wear some funky pattern sock. Me no likey

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 2:11:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Let the socks do the shoe to pant transition. Socks neither the exact color as shoes or pants, but a variant - nothing gaudy though. The contrast breaks up the lines nicely and compliments shoes & pants. I might give the first pic a medium dark blue or medium light grey sock.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I like oxblood/burgandy shoes with a grey suit.   As for socks, you can never go wrong with black over the calf sock.  In "The Right Stuff" that was a bit of advice given to the astronaut candidates.  

Call me stodgy but I've never liked brown shoes with anything but brown or tan suits . . . or Naval Aviation Green uniforms.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:This the socks match the pants. The trend now is to wear some funky pattern sock. Me no likey
View Quote

Just like Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, that's been going in an out of style since the early 1900s.  

Socks and ties are really the only two clothing items that men have to play with, at least in the regular business world.  If you're an artiste, different rules apply.  

I think that much depends on status.  If you are right out of college and going on your interviews for a first job, uber conservative is the way to go.  When you have twenty years of experience and the company is trying to lure you away from your employer, you can add some pizazz to your socks but not too much to the tie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top