Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/5/2016 5:20:01 PM EDT
I'm upgrading my wardrobe since my new job is business casual so jeans are a no-go.  I'm good on shirts and pants but I'm tired of wearing the same dress shoes every day and was thinking of getting some dressy boots.  Would a chelsea or chukka boot be appropriate?  I don't want anything too "clunky" but don't want anything uncomfortable either.

Link Posted: 11/5/2016 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
cowboy boots
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
cowboy boots
View Quote

Unless his office is a horse, no.

Chukkas always looked out of place. They just stop at the wrong spot at the ankle. Above or below. Pick one or the other. For dress/casual are you really set on boots? I'd look for a comfortable pair of Oxfords for an office job. You can even find some with a bit of an aggressive tread if you want boot-like traction.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By JellyBelly:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:

cowboy boots

you must be a city slicker.

ever hear of dress cowboy boots?  I didn't think so.

Link Posted: 11/5/2016 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Both are ugly as hell, but as long as your pants cover them, the chukkas should be ok once in a while. A well dressed guy can get away with it. Just don't be the guy whose suit doesn't quite fit and who wears boots, you know?
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If I'm wearing a suit I'm wearing cowboy boots.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not buying cowboy boots, I'd look ridiculous in them.  

What about a monk strap or double monk strap?
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By wav3form:

View Quote

Monk strap? And you think cowboy boots would make you look ridiculous
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 7:17:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#8]

View Quote
looks like cowboy boots is the only answer.... the ones in your original post are for beta males

Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:

View All Quotes

This forum kinda blows if all you get is GD style responses.  I just wanted something a bit more stylish than regular oxfords.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#10]
cowboy boots
View Quote

View Quote

Cowboy boots are not office attire. It might be a common look in Texas, but you'll look ridiculous just about anywhere else in the country.

Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I like chukka boots.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Stasher1:
Cowboy boots are not office attire. It might be a common look in Texas, but you'll look ridiculous just about anywhere else in the country.
View All Quotes

cowboy boots

I'm not in Texas

Senior management big Corp... we wear dress cowboy boots...
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#13]
No straps.

Lace up

LIKE THIS
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:53:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LV1976] [#14]
I'd go with the Chelsea boot. The chukka boots always look kind of unstructured to me, kind of like a soft moccasin, so they're definitely the more casual of the two. The Chelsea boot will be more blocked out and stiffer with a nice defined toe, so they look a bit more serious. Go with a full grain leather as well, the suede would be too casual for the office in my opinion. And no lug soles either.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#15]

I'm not in Texas
View All Quotes
cowboy boots

I'm not in Texas

And Donald Trump thinks that his hairstyle looks good.

Holding a position doesn't automatically make you right.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

cowboy boots

I'm not in Texas

I'm a firm believer that wearing dress cowboy boots got me to where I am today. You never see alpha males wearing half top boots...  that's reserved for guys who never get anywhere and are worried what other men think of them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#17]
  I'm a firm believer that wearing dress cowboy boots got me to where I am today. You never see alpha males wearing half top boots...  that's reserved for guys who never get anywhere and are worried what other men think of them.
View Quote

Wear cowboy boots if you like.  OP already said he didn't like cowboy boots.  Enough with the alpha/beta male bullshit, people come here to get away from the GD foolishness, you don't have to import it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I have black leather Chelsea boots that I will wear with wool pants. I have two pairs of suede Chelsea boots that I wear more casual with cotton pants and jeans. I feel like Chelsea boots are a bit more formal than Chukkas. Chukka for me is VERY causal.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never seen an "alpha male" wearing cowboy boots in my industry.  Thanks for the actual advice in this thread, it's appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I've never seen an "alpha male" wearing cowboy boots in my industry.  Thanks for the actual advice in this thread, it's appreciated.
View Quote

So what was the final verdict?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I haven't purchased anything yet but I have a party on Sat so I'll get something by then.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#22]
What's your budget?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#23]

This forum kinda blows if all you get is GD style responses.  I just wanted something a bit more stylish than regular oxfords.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with a pair of monk straps.
I think they look nice
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:29:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Puck] [#25]
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By fish223:

Agreed.  

This is not GD, and while there is latitude, insults and trolling will not be tolerated.

Keep it respectful and civil, thank you very much.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes
cowboy boots

Not in Az.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:43:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hawkeye180] [#28]
Allen Edmonds Dalton if you want a boot.  Otherwise go with the Strands, Fifth Ave or Park Ave.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sjuhockey10:
I just picked up a pair of these from AE in black for my wedding.  They're dressy enough for most anything, but are different enough from plain black dress shoes that they're not... boring, plain black dress shoes.  There are a ton of similar boots out there in varying price ranges.

I like Chelseas a lot, though they don't cooperate with my feet.  They always seem a little affected when worn with a suit, to me.
View Quote

I kind of feel the same way about wearing a Chelsea boot with a suit, unless you're really looking for that 60's mod look.  Those AE boots are actually a nice throwback to pre-1930's footwear where it was common to wear a brogued cap toe lace up boot like that with spats, kind of a Boardwalk Empire look.  The oxford started taking over in the mid 20's.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm going to throw out Carmina and Carlos Santos (check Skoaktiebolaget) as options in AE's price range but for better construction and styling.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Chukka over Chelsea. I have a couple pairs of Redwing Beckmann chukka's. I can dress them up or down easily. They work with almost any pant, and they are super comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:05:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoVAR] [#33]
Originally Posted By sjuhockey10:

Any additional info regards to their better construction?
View Quote

I used to buy AEs nearly exclusively, but after the results of their last trunk show [missed specs and poor finishing on tons of shell orders ($$$)], poorly executed GMTOs I've been a part of, and the QC missteps I've seen on their first quality shoes I've moved on and am not looking back.  IMHO AE does make classic, albeit stodgy dress shoes.  At the same price point, I think Europe and Spain are miles ahead stylistically, which typically has nothing to do with construction, but is worth consideration.  Both brands I listed (Carmina and Carlos Santos) are also goodyear welted, but better finished, and with better leather.  IME the diversity of the lasts usually means anyone can find something that fits them.  Compared to some of AEs most popular lasts which I think are the ones that are hardest to fit.

When AE firsts were selling around $330 I agree it was hard to find other proper goodyear welted shoes at that price.  But now at $385, there's a lot more competition.  And less than $200 away are hand-welted options.  And now that AE's being bought by Caleres (owns Famous Footwear) who knows what's going to happen to their offerings

EDIT:  Justin Fitzpatrick footwear is another option that is "classic with a twist" from a style standpoint, but a superb value at less than AE first costs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:11:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#34]
Why not a pair of Sperry Top Siders?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I wear Bates under my Dockers, but then again, I work in construction and need hard toe.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

You're aware chukka boots are where desert boots came from, and used by soldiers in some of the biggest conflicts around the globe? 

Also, good to know that having no intrinsic value can be overcome by cowboy boots. 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:26:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Madcap72] [#37]
Brouges. 

on sale cheap too!!!

eta- the trick with brouges is they look busy in pictures or on the shelf, when you wear them a lot is covered by pants , and the rest is muted a bit by you know, being 5-6' away from them. 

BUT, people notice them and think they're cool.  Florsheim are nice too, super comfy. 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Currahee:
Why not a pair of Sperry Top Siders?
View Quote

^This

Sperry Boatyard, once broken in they wear great. Worn mostly during warm weather months.

Keen Austin, as comfortable as they are ugly.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

You have to be important to wear cowboy boots to work in a true white collar setting.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Madcap72:
Brouges. 

on sale cheap too!!!

eta- the trick with brouges is they look busy in pictures or on the shelf, when you wear them a lot is covered by pants , and the rest is muted a bit by you know, being 5-6' away from them. 

BUT, people notice them and think they're cool.  Florsheim are nice too, super comfy. 
View Quote

That looks pretty good for $50!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By LV1976:

That looks pretty good for $50!
View Quote

I have half a dozen pairs of those Stafford Deacon & Gunner boots. Good leather & pretty comfy. Soles are just rubber, but at $40-$50, you can just throw these away when you wear em out.

I stripped the finish off a few of them with acetone and dyed them different colors to match my belts/watches. Looks a lot more expensive than factory fresh.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

You have to be important to wear cowboy boots to work in a true white collar setting.
View Quote

Nobody important in a white collar setting wears cowboy boots.  That's a GD fantasy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Madcap72:
Brouges. 

on sale cheap too!!!

View Quote

Not bad.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Born makes a desert boot/chukka that is very comfortable and looks ok.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Nobody important in a white collar setting wears cowboy boots.  That's a GD fantasy.
View Quote

Owners.

Also, elected officials.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:44:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IAMLEGEND] [#46]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

No, it's not.

ETA: It may well be a GD fantasy but it's not *only* a GD fantasy.  It happens in real life.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

I would say the southwestern states, Texas, the south. Yes, higher end cowboy boots would be fine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:49:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#48]
Russell Moccasin Co. makes custom shoes and boots. They're expensive to buy, but a bargain in the long run. If/when the soles wear out, you can have Russell replace them. I have four pairs of Russell, and have come to the conclusion that will a minimum of care, the uppers will never wear out. At least not before I do.

One of their models is a chukka called the "Convention Walker". They're made specifically for standing and walking indoors on hard floors. Lightweight, with a springy kind of sole and a leather that breathes really well. They have a good outdoorsy/casual look, they go on and off much more easily than a boot, and they're as comfortable as socks. I've done those death-marches through airport customs thinking, "Wow, these shoes are really comfortable!"

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/russell-short-premier-convention-walker/
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Inquiring minds want to know: to what level have you risen, and in what career field?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:06:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ohiobr] [#50]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
Russell Moccasin Co. makes custom shoes and boots. They're expensive to buy, but a bargain in the long run. If/when the soles wear out, you can have Russell replace them. I have four pairs of Russell, and have come to the conclusion that will a minimum of care, the uppers will never wear out. At least not before I do.

One of their models is a chukka called the "Convention Walker". They're made specifically for standing and walking indoors on hard floors. Lightweight, with a springy kind of sole and a leather that breathes really well. They have a good outdoorsy/casual look, they go on and off much more easily than a boot, and they're as comfortable as socks. I've done those death-marches through airport customs thinking, "Wow, these shoes are really comfortable!"

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/russell-short-premier-convention-walker/
View Quote
You don't happen to have a pair of Russell's hurons do you? 

Been eyeballing them for a while but haven't been able to decide between those or a pair of Quoddy Maliseets. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top