Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2017 11:26:45 AM EDT
So I have kinda been looking at brewing beer but never had the chance to do it. I do not have any set up to do so. Is there a kit that is recommend over anything else out there? Or is it best to put something together your self?

I have been looking at the following kits:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/essential-brewing-starter-kit at 90ish bucks

and:

https://www.homebrewsupply.com/complete-homebrew-beer-kit-glass-carboy.html#product_review at 135ish bucks

I am leaning toward the 135 one but if the 90 dollar one is good to go then I would rather use it? Are either one of the kits missing anything that would be needed to get going, or make things so much better? Is there another kit, or list to work off of that comes in cheaper and is easier to use?

I have "brewed" some peach brandy, and have a couple meads going right now. So I kinda of have an understanding whats going on, but what I have done this far is much more low tech I feel then brewing beer. I have been looking at the recipes kits that come with all the grains and such.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
out of the two you listed I would go with this one

https://www.homebrewsupply.com/complete-homebrew-beer-kit-glass-carboy.html#product_review

It contains a glass carboy and a better capper

on top of that, Northern Brewer is now owned by AB Inbev
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
out of the two you listed I would go with this one

https://www.homebrewsupply.com/complete-homebrew-beer-kit-glass-carboy.html#product_review

It contains a glass carboy and a better capper

on top of that, Northern Brewer is now owned by AB Inbev
View Quote
So is it a bad thing that it is own by AB Inbev?

Also I thought that same kit "looked" better, but not having ever done this I did not know if I was over buying. I kind of wanted something that was starter friendly, and had mostly everything needed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:25:26 AM EDT
[#3]
You said that you made some brandy and some meads. What kind of equipment do you have now? Buckets,carboys, hydrometer, anything?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You said that you made some brandy and some meads. What kind of equipment do you have now? Buckets,carboys, hydrometer, anything?
View Quote
The first brandy I made I borrowed a big five gallon carboy and bought a five gallon plastic one. It turned out kinda harsh but I think I figured out that between the incomplete instructions, wrong yest choice being possible, and a couple other things it was bound to fail. But I am trying to gear up and take another stab at that one again, but being the first time I did anything like this I do not think it was that bad.

For the meads I have one gallon carboys with air locks.The air locks being something I did not have before either. So taking stuff learned from the first go around I have slightly higher hopes for these. I am at the waiting to bottle stage on them, got about another month left.

So other then an five gallon carboy, two one gallon, two one gallon that are on the way, I got nothing really.

But while looking last night I found:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0179ZH89Y?tag=vglnk-c102-20 which is not bad I guess right esp for 110 bucks. The kit for beer is not something that I am too interested in but I guess it would not be a bad first time one.

Then I found another ingredient kit for about 41 bucks

So other then maybe a hydrometer which looks like can be had for under about 20 on amazon is there anything else that is needed?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like the $135 kit you listed would work out.
A wort chiller would be helpful but not needed as you could do an ice bath to chill. No need to spend a lot on something you don't know if you'll enjoy.

As for the ingredients, is there a homebrew store anywhere near you? Or just ordering online?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I ended up going with the amazon one I linked for 110ish.

I also bought a kettle pot thermometer, some extra bottle caps, a couple cases of bottles, a hydrometer, and carbonation tablets. Some of the stuff will be able to cross over to other stuff so no big deal there.

I wanted to be able to get a couple other beer igredient kits to have on hand that way I could do the next one right away after sharing the first batch with friends, but I had a budget for 200 right then. I think I did pretty good I think my total was 195ish after everything. And Ill had all or most of the hard parts to get going again after I order another ingredient kit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is a good source that is close to home for you.  
Texas Brewing Inc.

It sounds like you have had some mixed luck with fermentation in the past.    You might want to look for a home brewers club in your area to join.
Ask lots of questions.    You can also learn a lot on youtube.

And buy some StarSan!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top