Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2016 10:35:43 AM EDT
Never used one before.

Primary purpose I need it for is juicing fruit with as absolute little pulp as possible. For wine making.

Typically up to 25 lb of fruit per batch. Berries and all types of fruits, tomato etc.

I've been squeezing a lot of stuff through mesh bags by hand. I'm over it.

My sister in law would love using it for soups, salsas, baby food, chunkier stuff, but juicing is what I'm primarily interested in doing with it.

So I'm looking on Amazon. Any recommendations?
Not looking to spend over 100 bucks tops. Less would be better.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Kinda late but anyway...

We have a Jack Lalane and it isn't the best but it works pretty good. Some food will have a better extraction rate obviously. For stone fruit I would remove the stone.

For fermenting IDK but you do get a lot of particulate juicing. So What I would do is extract then hold your collected juice and allow the particulate to drop. Cold crash maybe or use finings/Knox gelatin.

If you are going to be juicing a large amount of heavy/dense fruit like peaches and the like you will want to save up and buy a real heavy duty commercial juice extractor. I'm saying this because the motors are going to burnout pretty quick. We juice a lot of celery, apple, citrus, and veggies collecting about 2 gallons at a time. The reason is we are going after the highly perishable vitamin and mineral that deteriorate over time. You are not or will not be. Since you are extracting to ferment you need volume. The extractor you buy from the store, such as my Jack LaLane cannot hold up to this type of use.

Just using our juicer for the 2 gallons of juice I can feel the motor getting hot. In fact the heavier/denser fruit will tax the motor even more so when we juice dense fruit/veg we do small amounts followed by something like celery or an apple or beet that has a lot of juice to help extract the juice from the pulp. So I would recommend a Masticating Juicer
Amazon Product
  • Masticating juicer chrome
  • Low speed juicing system, 80 RPM rotation speed
  • Exclusive "Dual Stage" masticating extraction

over one that uses centrifugal force to extract like the Lalane does.

I would suggest too to make you a nice compost bed too. They pump out some nice pulp, put it to use. Earthworm beds lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top