Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2016 3:51:07 PM EDT
I know it is not really a brew, as in alcohol, but it is a fermented drink.
Anyway, anybody got any recipes or advice on making it?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I just used This and played with it. my mother loved it when I added grape juice as she called it grape champagne. Shes old so take it for what its worth.
It was fun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife makes a batch every week, I'm ok with. It's supposed to be good for you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been making it for a few years now b/c it is easy and beneficial.  That said it is my least favorite beverage brew.  Cutting it with wine or juice is good though.  Some people experiment with additives like jalapenos, elder flowers, ginger, rose hips....etc and may even do a double fermentation, but imo the best way to improve flavor is not using black teas.  I'm much more a fan of water kefir or ginger beer plant.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought a pack of grow your own today.

Going to give a try.

I like the different flavors available from GT's Kombucha , drinking the last of the Gingerade this afternoon.

Going to be challenge to keep it warm, instructions say 80-90 degrees. I'll have to keep it in front of a electric heater , since we keep the house at 65 degrees here.   Where I live in Montana we don't get above 80 degrees except for a couple weeks in August. Maybe a aquarium heating pad.

Any one have experience on temperature control?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I did one gallon of Black tea...with one cup sugar...

placed in front of a electric heater we leave running on low all winter anyway.

checked temp with Fluke IR thermometer keeping it between 80 and 90 for 25 days.

early on I had some mold on floating scoby growth. Pulled out with two forks and threw away ( maybe grow in septic tank?)

The original cube continued to do it's job, the last week and half the scoby grew on the surface and covered the top and grew thick...you could smell the vinegar/ alcohol. ( keeping close to 90 degrees is better )

I collected a little over 80 ozs. split into cleaned 16 old GTS kombucha bottles we saved. ( 4 of them plus a couple glasses for drinking

had more than double original scoby so split it and now have two black tea gallons brewing...

This stuff is good. much better than store bought, good black tea taste with a twang....

I will bottle the next two bottle and then try some flavors...I want to try ginger and also some berry stuff....
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Add 5 fresh strawberries when you bottle to a basic for a strawberry Italian soda taste.  Wife makes it all the time and i love it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been drinking more and more kombucha... they have some locally made stuff in the big city we get to that blows GT out of the water. However this town is 2 hours away so we don't get there very often so I am thinking of brewing some. Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would reply here.

So, any tips from you folks that have been brewing some?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#9]
In for some good tips too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Wife was going to fill up my bottles at the food coop the last time she was that way, but they were out, so she bought me a kit to make my own... going to get me a warming   Pad and get my first brew going... will keep everyone in touch!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top