Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 4:44:03 PM EDT
Today I brewed the Rum Runner Stout 1 gallon extract kit from Northern Brewer (last time ever ordering from them). The brew day was pretty straight forward, but I made one small (yuuuge) change. I added corn syrup. I'll explain. This is described as a high alcohol rum stout, and you can add a shot of Kracken in secondary. I figured I'd up the ABV so I added a small bottle of corn syrup when I was adding the fermebtables. Turns out it weighed 1.5 pounds. This is going to end up a 10-15% ABV beer. The SG was 1.140. I may still add a nip of Kracken if I can find it.

I saved the grains. I ended up with 2 cups of stout grains, packaged in the freezer. I'm going to try Brewer's bread soon. I'll use regular yeast even though I have a half pack of S-04 left over. I'll use that for the next brew day.

Celebratory beer from the keg, from brew day #1

Our mascot, Brewer
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Good looking wort. Do you Keg or Bottle?

Cheers!
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I keg the 5 gallon batches but I'll bottle the 1 gal batches
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#3]
S-04 has an alcohol tolerance of 10%, but can poop out before that.  You likely would have to add additional yeast, like a champagne yeast or CBC-1, to bottle condition.  The problem is the beer would be at 1.06 or higher and the additional yeast could ferment so much that you end up with bottle bombs.  A secondary fermentation using champagne yeast or CBC-1 might not be a bad idea in this case.  I'd be real interested in hearing where the S-04 ends up for you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll definitely have to keep checking my gravity and see where it levels out. This is what I'm looking at. How do I avoid bottle bombs? Just add the champagne yeast, let it finish fermenting and then bottle like normal with fizz drops?

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll definitely have to keep checking my gravity and see where it levels out. This is what I'm looking at. How do I avoid bottle bombs? Just add the champagne yeast, let it finish fermenting and then bottle like normal with fizz drops?

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae152/jbarrettuscg/56E5D64F-929A-478A-8534-2A5A5D8D6352.png
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae152/jbarrettuscg/0547901D-7E26-4479-867D-CBEDC014313A.jpeg
View Quote

Champagne yeast seems dangerous to use for bottling. Higher attenuation than the yeast you normally use, yes?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Champagne yeast seems dangerous to use for bottling. Higher attenuation than the yeast you normally use, yes?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae152/jbarrettuscg/56E5D64F-929A-478A-8534-2A5A5D8D6352.png
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae152/jbarrettuscg/0547901D-7E26-4479-867D-CBEDC014313A.jpeg

Yeah. This brew is all screwed up. I pitched S-04, S-05, and the Champagne yeast in it, and some yeast nutrient. As far as I can tell, it's sitting at about 10%. Its in secondary now with vanilla extract and a coffee pouch. I'm going to bottle it in about 4 champagne bottles then age forever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top