Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2016 11:04:55 PM EDT

First batch being done on the right is NB Chinook IPA extract kit.

Figured that 5 gal was way too much, especially when a) starting out if something is messed up leading to a crappy batch having a lot of beer to dump and b) want to experiment more to create my own recipes.

So I got 2x 3 gal carboys for 2.5 gal batches and 4x 1 gal bottles for experimenting.  Shortly after the extract kit was placed in for primary fermentation I went around and ordered equipment for a BIAB setup.. I'm hooked!

Next up is the NB black IPA BIAB kit, 2 versions of Tree House Brewery Julius clone and 1 version of The Alchemist Focal Banger clone.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah43/ghostblurred/c24c3028-4cde-47de-ad20-0cae266c4152_zpsmhj3ceyu.jpg

First batch being done on the right is NB Chinook IPA extract kit.

Figured that 5 gal was way too much, especially when a) starting out if something is messed up leading to a crappy batch having a lot of beer to dump and b) want to experiment more to create my own recipes.

So I got 2x 3 gal carboys for 2.5 gal batches and 4x 1 gal bottles for experimenting.  Shortly after the extract kit was placed in for primary fermentation I went around and ordered equipment for a BIAB setup.. I'm hooked!

Next up is the NB black IPA BIAB kit, 2 versions of Tree House Brewery Julius clone and 1 version of The Alchemist Focal Banger clone.
View Quote

Where are you getting your kits from?  I've been looking at buying online but I can't really tell if I would be saving any money.  Everything I look at is ~$50 for a 5 gallon batch and I seemed to be able to brew 10 gallon batches for ~$60 from my local store.

My BIAB setup and I love it.  I just wish I had started brewing earlier.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been ordering primarily from Northern Brewery for the equipment.

The black IPA kit is off an all grain recipe kit that I'm scaling down to a 2.5 (~3 gallon) for two different approaches to it.

They rest are based off online recipes I put together using Beer Smith to convert to a 1 gallon batch and ordered the individual ingredients off their website as well.

The have 3-gal BIAB recipes which are limited in selection or get the all-grain like I did and scale it down using Beer Smith.  The cost ranges from ~$20 to over $70, but most seem to be around the $30 range.  The black IPA one I got was about $41 for 5 gal.

I bought when they fortunately had some big sales and saved around $200 from 2 separate purchases.  I spent around $800 total for all the equipment including what's not shown, 8 gal mega pot with ball valve and thermometer and copper wort chiller
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top