Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2016 4:55:46 AM EDT
Well... After I wake up that is; nights are a bitch.  So I found my family is coming up for Thanksgiving (they live in SC and I haven't seen them in close to 5 years) so I thought I would break out my Northern Brewers Kit.  I received it as a Christmas gift and never even opened it. I was reading up on meads and thought I would try one, but according to the internet it won't have aged by the time my folks get here, I guess my fall back will be an Irish Amber.  It is going to be an extract kit but I am pretty stoked. One more vice to take funds and time away.

I know the yeast will be deceased so I am hitting up the local hobby store in town when I get up to pick up the grains, yeast and extract syrup so I can start as fresh as I can.  I will be brewing after that and we shall see.  I have already "emptied" enough bottles to refill with my brew.  Any Irish Red drinkers that can throw out anything to make my first brew a bit better?  I have from today to Turkey day to pull it off.  game on. Lord, don't let me burn the house down.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I just recently got into home brewing not that long ago, and was pleasantly surprised to find this forum on here. I've completed 5 extract batches, and the last one I did was the best. I did a full boil instead of partial, and made the clearest, tastiest beer so far. Another quick one would be the Hefeweizen from Northern Brewer it only takes two weeks. I ordered one Wednesday though and it still hasn't shipped yet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a hobby store not that far from me so I will be heading there shortly.

I would love to order from Northern Brewer, I just don't think I have the time for it to get here and brew before Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Normally they're pretty fast about shipping, I don't know whats going on.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#4]
All the equipment is cleaned and I have it sanitizing as I type. Once I finish grilling supper I am off to make beer! I went with a Scottish ale. Still an extract kit  but its gonna be great!
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Great! Be sure to tell us how it tastes!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Will do. The directions say that after a week I can rack it to a secondary or go straight to bottling. But it has only been three days and the airlock isn't bubbling much anymore. Should I rack now?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Will do. The directions say that after a week I can rack it to a secondary or go straight to bottling. But it has only been three days and the airlock isn't bubbling much anymore. Should I rack now?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No! Only a week that doesn't sound right at all. Also airlock activity is not a indication that fermentation is completed especially if its only slowed, the only way you can tell is to test the OG/FG by using a hydrometer (Which I don't do hardly, I always just leave in the fermenter for about a month). I would at least give it 3 weeks then bottle.

Do a Google and/or look at this thread, secondary fermentation is really unnecessary.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/dont-secondary.387698/

Have you thought about getting a kegerator or building a keezer? Once you go to kegging your beer, you never go back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I never heard of a week, then straight to bottle.  Seems a little early.  I wouldn't rack it yet.  My rule of thumb has always been let it sit at least 2 weeks in primary before kegging/bottling.  I don't bother taking gravity readings anymore.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I held off for 2.5 weeks and now its in the fridge. Tonight I hopefully drink Scottish ale.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
It will be fine. As Pappazian et al say: relax, have a homebrew. Congrats.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I might get flamed for this, but there really isn't any purpose in a secondary unless you're dry hopping or adding a flavor post-fermentation.  I know you can get better clarity in secondary though. For my first pale ale I just did 2 weeks primary then kegged.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#12]
When I transferred to the secondary I (and this is just me and my opinion) feel that it was more to reduce the trub at the bottom.  I will have to take some pictures tomorrow at the finished product. It came out a nice nut brown color and delicious.

Anyone out there know how I can get away from bottle conditioning?  I would love to just drink from the bottle without the residue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top