Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2016 4:49:01 PM EDT
So I've been interested in brewing for a long time, and I just spent the afternoon watching a buddy do a 5 gal extract run. I'm going back this week to help him keg a different batch. We made some trades and this is what I have now. I had the burner, got the keg and co2, regulator. I know I need everything in between, and a picnic tap. I have an empty fridge to house it all. Eventually I'll drill through the front for a real kegerator setup. Any suggestions on a 5 gal bucket kit, mainly interested in IPA's? I also have a slightly larger stainless kettle I was going to bring home so I don't really need another in a kit. Not interested in bottling at all. He suggested groupon and adventures in home brewing. I'm clicking around there now.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, so I just bought this kit, it includes a yeast and a recipe kit. I optioned the long stem thermometer. My buddy hooked my up with a super long spoon, bottle capper and caps, and a bottle filler. So aside from a picnic tap and 6.5 gallons of water I think I have everything I need. Should be brewing this weekend.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I think all you're missing is some sanitizer, like Star San.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think all you're missing is some sanitizer, like Star San.
View Quote

I just got that text, he's going to bring some sanitizer over when we do the brew. I also just made a 3/8 copper wort chiller since I'm bored as hell. I know it looks like shit. I'll tweak the bends and clean it up. It occurred to me that my spigot water temp is going to be high, and I'm going to waste a shit ton of water using this and it might not even chill all the way. I need to come up with a recirc pump setup.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#4]
You could also put the kettle in an ice bath.  Between that and the chiller, you'll be able to get the wort to pitching temperature.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]
So today was Brew day. I got a cooler full of ice, and my buddy cane over. We boiled up 6.5 gallons, made wort, had some trouble with my burner, finished the boil with hops and all that fun stuff. Used my wort cooler then the ice bath. We actually got it down to 60 degrees... Maybe we don't need as much ice next time. It's in the primary for a few weeks then I'll transfer it to the keg for carbonization. I also have some bottles and a 1 gal wine jug. I ordered a stopper and a spare airlock. When I buy my next 5 gal kit, I'm also going to buy a 1 gal double IPA kit for bottling. And maybe I'll pick up another keg lol.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Adventures in Homebrewing has a good sale going right now. $10 gift cert with $50+ order, $30 gift cert with $150+ order, or $50 gift cert with $300+ order. That's about the cheapest I've seen them be.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Adventures in Homebrewing has a good sale going right now. $10 gift cert with $50+ order, $30 gift cert with $150+ order, or $50 gift cert with $300+ order. That's about the cheapest I've seen them be.
View Quote

I saw that, and I'm thinking about picking up another corny keg. They're already on a good sale right now. I did buy a 5 gal Grapefruit Pulpin kit and a 1 gal Rum Stout from northern brew. I'm going to bottle the stout but I want to keg the grapefruit.

Yesterday the fermenting slowed down a bit so I boiled a jug of corn syrup (3 cups) and added it to the primary to boost the ABV a little. The bubbling had picked back up by the time I went to bed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#8]
The reviews online say the stout needs to be in a bigger fermenter or you'll lose a lot to blowoff. I had ordered a stopper and an airlock for a 1 gal wine jug, but on the way home today I stopped and got a 2 gal bucket and lid, and some grommets. The airlock was in the mail when k got home. Put it all together, I'm ready for my next brew day. And my buddy said I could borrow a keg for the Pulpin.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
So it begins....Welcome to your new obsession!  Check these Fermonsters.  They are 7 gallon and allow enough room and easy to clean.  I'm way off the deep end.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermonster-7-gallon-carboy.html

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#10]
So current status: I got my shipment of sanitizer and a picnic tap line, so I sanitized everything and racked my bucket to the keg. I hooked up the co2 and now I'm force carbonating. The regulator has a funky flow gauge since it's meant for a MIG. I ordered a psi gauge on eBay. And my box of 5gal grapefruit sculpin clone and 1 gallon rum stout (both extract) showed up. I need another keg for the grapefruit. I have plenty of bottles for the stout. Then my buddy texted me this morning and offered me a gallon all grain kit, so I'm going to grab that and see how I like all-grain. I went ahead and ordered a 1/2 pound of Citra hops on sale since I want to try to make a big SMASH IPA, 5 gallon, BIAB. Gotta wait for my first keg to be empty though.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So it begins....Welcome to your new obsession!  Check these Fermonsters.  They are 7 gallon and allow enough room and easy to clean.  I'm way off the deep end.
View Quote

Hmmmm I have a 6.5 gal bucket fermenter and I was planning on using a 5 gal plastic water jug. But that looks good. What's going on in that second picture?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Cold, carbonated beer. Black lab dag's name is Brewer.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hmmmm I have a 6.5 gal bucket fermenter and I was planning on using a 5 gal plastic water jug. But that looks good. What's going on in that second picture?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIAB electric brew system call the brew boss. It's got a computer controller and runs off an android tablet.   As I said,  went off the deep end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top