Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2016 9:16:33 PM EDT
Made my first batch of beer, currently in the fermenting stage. we have encountered a problem, we have to maintain the beer at 60-80 degrees. we have the beer at room temperature and its currently running around 79 degrees. need ideas and help on how to keep the temperature steady. Thank you
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
set it in the basement if you have one. 2nd option...run a fan on it if you can not regulate the room temp.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#2]
You could use a swamp cooler.  http://www.brew-dudes.com/swamp-cooler-magic/287
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Use a bucket full of water with a fan blowing across the water.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Turn the A/C down to 70? Is every room in your house 79 degrees? If not, move the fermenter.
Place fermenter in a cooler, mostly fill with water, in which you place a milk jug filled with frozen water, replace as needed.
This is something you should havefigured out beforehand.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Room runs roughly around 71, we have one of those strip thermometers and its reading 79. we are just trying to be cautious and not fuck it up first try. thanks for the help gents
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use a bucket full of water with a fan blowing across the water.
View Quote

I do something similar with pretty good success and I am also in FL.  I use a 3 gallon carboy in a 48 qt igloo cooler filled with about 4-5 inches of water in the bottom.  I ferment in a closet with the door closed and switch out one 16 oz frozen water bottle in the water each day and stir the water around when I do.  The temp of the water consistently stays around 65-66.  Keep the house at 73 degrees this time of year btw.

Also during the first few days when fermentation begins the inside of the fermentor will be a few degrees warmer than ambient due to the reactions going on inside.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Room runs roughly around 71, we have one of those strip thermometers and its reading 79. we are just trying to be cautious and not fuck it up first try. thanks for the help gents
View Quote

Use an actual thermometer.

I have several thermometer iin my "beer room." And the strips on my fermenters. I use the  regular thermometers. 71 is not "bad," unless you are lagering. Then, you'll have a "California Common" style beer.

Get a book, by Palmer or Pappasian, read, if you want to do this regularly. It ain't rocket surgery. People been making beer for centuries.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#8]
High fermentation temps on ale yeast WILL give off tastes to the brew.  These are considered serious flaws and as stated should have been worked out before hand.  Get the temps down NOW any way possible.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#9]
You need to keep it under 70 for ale yeast for the first few days to a week.  I just use the low tech method, fermenter in a plastic laundry tub with water, add ice as needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top