Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2016 5:09:17 PM EDT
Gonna make my first beer this weekend. Friend gave me a Brooklyn brewshop everyday IPA kit for a gallon batch. He has had it in his basement for "maybe a year" says best by April 2013.
Was planning on getting new yeast. You reckon the hops are ok? Looks pelletized.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd get new hops.

Edit:  I'd get a new kit.  I'm assuming it's an extract kit and it's likely too old for decent results.

Edit again:  I just read the instructions and it's all-grain.  I don't know what the shelf life of grain is.  I think I would keep the gear from the kit, look up a 1 gallon recipe online, get those ingredients, and make it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd get new hops.

Edit:  I'd get a new kit.  I'm assuming it's an extract kit and it's likely too old for decent results.

Edit again:  I just read the instructions and it's all-grain.  I don't know what the shelf life of grain is.  I think I would keep the gear from the kit, look up a 1 gallon recipe online, get those ingredients, and make it.
View Quote

Ok. thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell, brew it up. If itsucks, all you've wasted is time. I bet it is drinkable, though it is an IPA, which I don't like.

Edit: it's an IPA, can't taste any worse than a normal ale.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hell, brew it up. If itsucks, all you've wasted is time. I bet it is drinkable, though it is an IPA, which I don't like.

Edit: it's an IPA, can't taste any worse than a normal ale.
View Quote

So I ended up getting a whole new recipe for a 1 gallon IPA

2.75 lb 2row barley
2/3lb crystal malt
.6 oz warrior
1 oz citra half in boil half in 10 days.
And then some yeast the guy recommended

So I doubled the hops and used them on the old one.
I also opened the old hops and the smelled nice. So I used them too on the one batch.
It came with about 1/8oz Columbus for bittering and about 1/4 oz cascade for flavor.

So I have 2 batches going.

I'll rack it and dry hop it Monday. Also it didn't have any priming sugar. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome!  You can use granulated sugar in the place of dextrose.  Here's a priming sugar calculator:  http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Awesome!  You can use granulated sugar in the place of dextrose.  Here's a priming sugar calculator:  http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
View Quote

That is very helpful. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#7]
So I guess I screwed up. Didn't know you weren't supposed to boil the mash on all grain. Am I hosed on this batch of will it be drinkable?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I guess I screwed up. Didn't know you weren't supposed to boil the mash on all grain. Am I hosed on this batch of will it be drinkable?
View Quote

Keep going all it costs you is time.  Decoction brewing boils some of the mash.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmm, well I don't know how that will turn out, but stick with it and let us know.  Hopefully you continue on and try a third batch.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hmm, well I don't know how that will turn out, but stick with it and let us know.  Hopefully you continue on and try a third batch.
View Quote

I'll keep it going. Gonna dry hop it today. It's a couple one gallon batches so I'm not too worried.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top