Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2016 8:48:27 PM EDT
Nvm bought the glass kit from northern with the irish red. What else should I buy other than a outside burner, 5 gallon deal and thermometer? Also can I just keep the brew after it's done in the second fermenter and pour from that?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought my dad the plastic 5 gallon one with amber ale for fathers day and just did the brewing today. Tag to find out more info
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]
After secondary you'll want to bottle it according to the instructions.
If you drink it right from secondary it will be pretty flat.

If you are doing small batch kits then I would look to doing partial volume 5 gallon batches.
after that move up to a larger kettle with a outdoor burner and do full volume boils

After that comes allgrain
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you are doing small batch kits then I would look to doing partial volume 5 gallon batches.
after that move up to a larger kettle with a outdoor burner and do full volume boils

View Quote

All grain and larger, outdoor gear depends on preference.  I went to a keg system even while doing 5 gal stove top batches and even before going all-grain just because I just flat out hate bottling.  I've never had a bad batch (knock on nearest wood) but just hate the bottling process and prefer draft anyway, even from a growler.  A member here before we had a home brew forum was showing his latest recipe and I saw the keg and ran to the home brew store the next day.  A couple of 5 gal kegs and CO2 system was worth the $, and I've never regretted it.  

Outdoor burners made my wife infinitely happier though.  She hates beer and she tolerated the indoor brewing aroma for me, but now when I say I am going to stay up late running a batch she smiles instead of winces.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:03:23 AM EDT
[#4]
How long should they set bottled for? Was going to try the Irish Red then I was going to push myself towards the Belhaven Wee Heavy recipe I found but it calls for a 90 minute boil as opposed to an hour.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How long should they set bottled for? Was going to try the Irish Red then I was going to push myself towards the Belhaven Wee Heavy recipe I found but it calls for a 90 minute boil as opposed to an hour.
View Quote

The instructions in the beer kit probably say 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought my dad the plastic 5 gallon one with amber ale for fathers day and just did the brewing today. Tag to find out more info
View Quote

Did you pour the entire bag of grains into the sock? I did the irish red and this bag of grains is HUGE. Much bigger than the one shown in the instructional video.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Today, I'm brewing a Belgian witbier from Brew Your Own magazine, July-August edition. Brewing the partial mash version using two
pots.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
All grain and larger, outdoor gear depends on preference.  I went to a keg system even while doing 5 gal stove top batches and even before going all-grain just because I just flat out hate bottling.  I've never had a bad batch (knock on nearest wood) but just hate the bottling process and prefer draft anyway, even from a growler.  A member here before we had a home brew forum was showing his latest recipe and I saw the keg and ran to the home brew store the next day.  A couple of 5 gal kegs and CO2 system was worth the $, and I've never regretted it.  

Outdoor burners made my wife infinitely happier though.  She hates beer and she tolerated the indoor brewing aroma for me, but now when I say I am going to stay up late running a batch she smiles instead of winces.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What he said, bottling sucks and kegs don't. Also working outside will keep the MS happy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of mine have taken longer than that.

Someday soon I'll build my bar and go to kegging. But bottles make for nice gifts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top