Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2016 2:24:53 PM EDT
Or rather, how to properly clean and season one. I've had one for years and I had a bunch of pulled bullets sitting in it since I was a kid. I'm not worried about any lead dust from the bullets (it's pewter after all), as I wiped the inside out with a bit soapy water and a paper towel. So how do I properly maintain it for drinking purposes?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you really have to do anything, but someone with more knowledge may be along directly.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm not worried about any lead dust from the bullets (it's pewter after all), as I wiped the inside out with a bit soapy water and a paper towel. So how do I properly maintain it for drinking purposes?
View Quote

If it is a old mug, get one of the lead test kits from homedepot or lowes $10-$12. Rub the inside of the mug with the test rag. If it turns black, there is a lot of lead in it. Acidic drinks will leach out the lead in the pewter
I even check old crockware. There are glazes that contain a lot of lead.

I am not a lead expert. I get certified by the State for Renovate/Repair every 5 years for my job at a General Contractor.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The mug is only about 15 or 20 years old. I got it at a Ren fair when I was a kid. I remember it having directions about seasoning it on a tag, but I don't know where they went. Google has led to a LOT of different answers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top