Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2016 6:22:29 PM EDT
I'm supplying beer for my neice's upcoming wedding so I ended up brewing two batches of beer today. A 5 gal and a 10 gal batch, it's been a while since I've tried to do this and fuck I'm tired. Both All Grain BTW which added time.

-5 gal Piney the Elder clone: I did this one first and things started south right away; I missed my strike water temp by 5 degrees which is no big deal but heated a half gallon to compensate. That hurt my targeted effencicy a bit but the final pre-pitch Gravity was only off by a tad. I added a touch more corn sugar in the boil to compensate so no harm, no foul.  All of the hops gave my Therminator fits, I had to unclog it twice during chilling which was a pain. All in all, on target and pitched. I've got an ass-load of hop leaves to dry hop in about a week but I have to bottling this batch.

-10gal Beglian White recepie; On this one I hit my marks exactly and the brew went perfectly. I had to chill it twice though due to my ground water being at 64 and 10 gals of boiling wort is a stubborn thing. The yeast is pitched in it as well so all is well. This will go into a couple of kegs.

Cleanup, ugh I hate this part. Cleaning took me a couple of hours, by then rain started moving it so everything (including myself,) got a little wet but at least it's somewhat warm. Oh and in-between batches I had to chase of some drunk fucker that decided to cut through my yard so that got me out of rhythm a bit. One things for sure, I don't need to work out tomorrow.

I've got a couple of videos, if anyone is interested in seeing them I'll host em up. Next time, I'm going to enlist a buddy to help and hopefully this burn on my wrist will stop hurting in a bit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Brewing with friends is almost always better.
What's your basic Pliney recipe?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brewing with friends is almost always better.
What's your basic Pliney recipe?
View Quote

I would have appreciated an extra set of hand (or two) but it is what it is. Here's the recipie I was working with, I'd suggest cutting back the hops to a 1/3 at boil and add to dry hopping to your liking.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top