Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2016 8:49:01 PM EDT
I currently have a 15 gal kettle do mostly 5 gal and some 10 gal batches.... Well I'm now looking to switch to all 10 - 15 gal batches.... ( my house beer is too amazing to do anything less than 15 gal batches... I can't make enough to keep it in stock)

I want a new kettle my only requirements are it must have gallon markings on the inside and welded spigot. I was hoping for a 25 gal kettle but am only seeing 30 gal. That have the markings...

What kettle do you guys recommend in the $400 or less range?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I am thinking about getting a Spikes Brewing kettle when I upgrade.   Their fittings are welded.  They offer a 30 gallon kettle, but not a 25.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am thinking about getting a Spikes Brewing kettle when I upgrade.   Their fittings are welded.  They offer a 30 gallon kettle, but not a 25.
View Quote

Spikes kettles r beautiful .... I think I'll pick one up when back in stock
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a big DIYer so be forewarned.  So here's my experience.

Buy a keg of your favorite beer & you'll have to put a $40 deposit on it.

Drink up.  Don't return the keg.  Convert it.  All the video instructions are on YouTube.

All the parts will cost you a total of $100.  Harbor Freight has all the step drills cheap.

Now you've spent $140 on a Keggle you've built yourself that's sold on eBay for $350.

10-gallon batches all day. 15 no way.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are starting off with a used keg, I have seen converted ones as low as $100 with a single weld.  That's said, the OP wanted to do 15 gallon boils (looking for a 25 gallon kettle), and wanted a weld and markings.  A 100 quart concord with 2 welds and a ply bottom (no hardware) is a tad over $200 with the current sale, but has no marks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Drink up.  Don't return the keg.  Convert it.  All the video instructions are on YouTube.

All the parts will cost you a total of $100.  Harbor Freight has all the step drills cheap.

Now you've spent $140 on a Keggle you've built yourself that's sold on eBay for $350.

View Quote

Breweries must love you,the deposit is no where near the cost of a keg.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then they need to up the deposit...you get it back, so its not like you are really getting charged MORE, right?  

If the next argument is "oh, we won't sell as much as our competition then..."--then its a cost of doing business, right?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Then they need to up the deposit...you get it back, so its not like you are really getting charged MORE, right?  

If the next argument is "oh, we won't sell as much as our competition then..."--then its a cost of doing business, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its still theft.
You are buying the beer, not the keg.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Its still theft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its still theft.

Not denying that, but they need to up the deposit instead of complain on all the homebrew message boards...
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Thieves gonna thief.

Quoted:

Not denying that, but they need to up the deposit instead of complain on all the homebrew message boards...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its still theft.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its still theft.

Or people in the homebrewing community could decide not to be filthy thieves.
Breweries have every right to bitch about stolen property. If some asshat stole my kegs i'd be pissed off too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you are starting off with a used keg, I have seen converted ones as low as $100 with a single weld.  That's said, the OP wanted to do 15 gallon boils (looking for a 25 gallon kettle), and wanted a weld and markings.  A 100 quart concord with 2 welds and a ply bottom (no hardware) is a tad over $200 with the current sale, but has no marks.
View Quote

Pretty nice deal. I paid about $100 for my plain jane Bayou 62 qt. You can always do the electrolysis markings yourself. One of these days I'll get off my butt and do them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Or people in the homebrewing community could decide not to be filthy thieves.
Breweries have every right to bitch about stolen property. If some asshat stole my kegs i'd be pissed off too.
View Quote

Bitching don't change what's going to happen.  Bitching doesn't stop the money going out the window either.  Raising deposits does both of those...
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#13]
From what I've seen the SS Brewtech kettles are the best ones out there. Prices are pretty normal.
http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/kettles

They have 20 and 30 gallon kettles.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
From what I've seen the SS Brewtech kettles are the best ones out there. Prices are pretty normal.
http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/kettles

They have 20 and 30 gallon kettles.
View Quote

And to the fact of the folks espousing making keggles, if you can find something similar to this (maybe a bayou classic in 15 gallons?) for say around $200 (think sales and wait for coupons on mailing lists), you will be much ahead of buying this vs. a keg PLUS hardware PLUS the tools you will need (most folks don't have them laying around) PLUS the time you do or don't have...its a lot of those little costs that add up (and aggravation).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top