Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/29/2016 6:28:33 PM EDT
I don't post here much.  

I want to build a semi-automated electric brewery.  I usually do 5 and 10 gallon batches of lager type beers.  I need to do a protein rest before a beta and alpha amylase rest.  Anyone got any interest in doing this?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have done multi-step mashes and noticed VERY LITTLE IF ANY difference in the final outcome of the beers to include lagers. I have not done decoction, but a single infusion is simple and repeatable.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have done multi-step mashes and noticed VERY LITTLE IF ANY difference in the final outcome of the beers to include lagers. I have not done decoction, but a single infusion is simple and repeatable.
View Quote

Agreed, and brulosophy.com even just did triangle tests with HUGE swings in single infusion rest temps (like 148 to 160) on the Session podcast the other day and they couldn't consistently pick them out.  I was thinking of making a system to do multi-steps but I decided the extra work involved wasn't worth the squeeze.

Fermentation, yeast and cellar stuff (cold side) makes the most difference.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I concur with what others have said about step mashes.

When I originally built my semi-auto e-brew stand I designed it to be a HERMS.  I could program in 3 mash temp steps.  Found it was really tough to change the temp of the mash that way and noticed no difference in the beers.  I've since pulled all that extra valves/tubing off and insulated the crap out of my mash tun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been eyeing up this system...

http://brewtronix.com/
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't post here much.  

I want to build a semi-automated electric brewery.  I usually do 5 and 10 gallon batches of lager type beers.  I need to do a protein rest before a beta and alpha amylase rest.  Anyone got any interest in doing this?
View Quote

I just completed building my electric brewery. Three 20 gallon kettles, 50 amp control panel, full EHERM setup. I should have built it years ago. Total control over mash temps.  Saves me hours on brew days and the beer is better.  Now that I can do rest at the push of a button, I have to agree with the others here.  I don't see any improvement in the beer over a single infusion mash. I will say build one and find out for yourself.  I got my plans from www.theelectricbrewery.com

Here is my setup being built.  It's done now I just haven't updated the link with photos.

[
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Did you build the control panel yourself?
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it was easier than it looks. Cutting the holes in the enclosure was the hardest part.  knockout punches is the only way for the small holes.  I had to use a hole saw for the large ones.  Large knock out punches are high dollar.  It was costly but worth every penny in time saved.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top