Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 9:35:27 PM EDT
Started my 2nd batch of Meade today.

1st one was 3lbs honey, 1 packet Fleischmans Dry, various mixed fruit. It's still fermenting, 11 days in.

2nd batch indidnthe same thing, exceptnused limes and Graham crackers. Over an hour later and  still seeing no fermentation .....

What did I screw up? I left it to sit cause I went to work. Hoping it's just delayed reaction and I didn't screw it up.

Anybody?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Aeration?

Use a drill to stir, or aerate with aquarium air pump & stone. (Before pitching yeast.)

Water temp when yeast pitched?

Fleischmans like 78-80F.

Finally PH?

PH should be 5.4

Any lower, 3 or lower will take forever. If not at all.
7 or more will produce ammonia smells.

Never done honey so I don't know about "nutrients" in Honey for the yeast.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually checked on it when I got home from work, and there was activity and some inflation of balloon, not as much as I'd like though.

But thanks for those tips.

It'll be a learning experience.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#3]
At least in beer, fermentation can take 24+ hours to start.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top