Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2016 4:27:10 PM EDT
I did a strong ale mashed at 156.
Og 1.97
Fg 1.044
Used brix refractometor put it into northern Brewers calculator it spit back out 11% beer and that true fg should be around 1.01 this doesn't seem right. Beer is sweeter than a 1.01 fg.

Before I use a hydrometer to get a good fg reading I'd like to know if there is a better calc for making the calculation based on using brix refractometor after fermentation.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I did a strong ale mashed at 156.
Og 1.97
Fg 1.044
Used brix refractometor put it into northern Brewers calculator it spit back out 11% beer and that true fg should be around 1.01 this doesn't seem right. Beer is sweeter than a 1.01 fg.

Before I use a hydrometer to get a good fg reading I'd like to know if there is a better calc for making the calculation based on using brix refractometor after fermentation.
View Quote

Your numbers are F-ed up, for one, I think you meant 1.097?

Simple answer, I tried to use the refract # reading for FG before but it just doesn't work well, just use a hydrometer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I did hydrometer came back at 1.013 putting this at 11%

I know I accidentally added lb to much brown sugar but that's an 86 % attenuation from a yeast that should only do 80% atten..... Wlp060
Og 1.097
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
That seems plausible.  Sometimes yeasts will surprise you.  We regularly run 1056 to 13%  ABV
and although, that is a blend, sometimes one strain will come out more so
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top