Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2016 10:11:48 PM EDT
Well my last kegerator finally quit working. So now its time to build a new one.
My last one was a fairly standard chest freezer build but this time im doing it a little different.
I've decided to use a fridge instead so that i dont have to deal with lifting full kegs into a chest freezer while avoiding my regulator, serving lines and gas lines.

I got a 15.5 cu ft fridge at home depot and its perfect for my 4 kegs, the only problem im having is how to run my co2 line in to my regulator.
Any advice on how to drill a hole in the side of my brand new fridge without busting a coolant line?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Most fridges have nothing but insulation in the sides.     Drill away
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most fridges have nothing but insulation in the sides.     Drill away
View Quote

Seriously?
I'd always thought that there would be coolant lines in the sides to make it well... cold
I know my chest freezer did.

So if there are no lines in the sides where does the cooling come from?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, good. They fit!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#4]

You're probably going to want to replace or reinforce that glass shelf they are on
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You're probably going to want to replace or reinforce that glass shelf they are on
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kinda figured that

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Kinda figured that

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda figured that

What's a full 5gal keg weigh?  40lbs?  That'll be 160lbs on that fragile glass and plastic.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What's a full 5gal keg weigh?  40lbs?  That'll be 160lbs on that fragile glass and plastic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda figured that

That sounds about right.
Thats why its going to be replaced with either plywood or, depending on the cost,  hdpe
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:34:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That sounds about right.
Thats why its going to be replaced with either plywood or, depending on the cost,  hdpe
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda figured that

That sounds about right.

Look at MDF Board as well.  It shouldnt warp if it gets wet.  Double a 1/2 board up and it will hold a lot of weight.

MAHA
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:53:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Look at MDF Board as well.  It shouldnt warp if it gets wet.  Double a 1/2 board up and it will hold a lot of weight.

MAHA
View Quote

Ill check into it. I'm still very much in the planning stage.
definitely going with perlicks this time for faucets
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I just keep the co2 tank in the fridge with the keg. I know its not ideal but I never have any problems. Besides everything I read said not to drill through the sides  or back of the fridge. Also make sure if it has a freezer on the top mount your taps low enough so you can open it without getting near the handles and accidentally pouring beer.

Edit - we also built a base out of steel to support the weight of the keg.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:59:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just keep the co2 tank in the fridge with the keg. I know its not ideal but I never have any problems. Besides everything I read said not to drill through the sides  or back of the fridge. Also make sure if it has a freezer on the top mount your taps low enough so you can open it without getting near the handles and accidentally pouring beer.

Edit - we also built a base out of steel to support the weight of the keg.
View Quote

I already have a 20lb tank rigged to a high pressure line and a 4 body taprite regulator from my last kegerator.
only way to use that tank is to mount it outside
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:22:53 AM EDT
[#12]
You are usually ok to drill on the sides, NOT the back.  Also dont drill into the freezer section (if yours has one) That is where the coils are on most refrigerators.  Over under type at least.

If in doubt look up the service manual / or check youtube for repair of your fridge.  It should show where the coils are.  I looked closer at your pic.  Definitely do not drill through the back.  It looks like the coils are in the back wall of the fridge.  do a youtube search of your model number, there should be a video out there.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You are usually ok to drill on the sides, NOT the back.  Also dont drill into the freezer section (if yours has one) That is where the coils are on most refrigerators.  Over under type at least.

If in doubt look up the service manual / or check youtube for repair of your fridge.  It should show where the coils are.  I looked closer at your pic.  Definitely do not drill through the back.  It looks like the coils are in the back wall of the fridge.  do a youtube search of your model number, there should be a video out there.
View Quote

Good thinking on the youtube, ive searched all over for drawings and repair manuals but didnt think to check there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Welp, my faucets came in

4 perlick 630SS faucets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top