Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2015 9:03:58 PM EDT
So, I'm trying to make the leap to kegging, but I'm having an issue.

The first keg I got from the home brew shop had really, really bad welds. I took it back, and they agreed to exchange it immediately for another brand.

The problem is, this keg, while better, also has some rough spots in the welds.

The question I have is, how smooth do these welds need to be?

How smooth are your kegs?

ETA::The welds on the outside, are definitely smoother than those on the inside.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I think this might fall under "It's a welding thing".  Why would it matter, as long as it doesn't leak?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think this might fall under "It's a welding thing".  Why would it matter, as long as it doesn't leak?
View Quote

Bad welds can harbor organic material which can lead to infections.  AKA they are hard to sanitize.

Since I presume your kegged beer will be held cold, infection shouldn't be that big of a risk since it likely won't grow to a noticeable level before you drink it.  I guess that goes out the window if you are aging in your keg.

Hell, if you are really worried about it, the boiling water route will kill almost everything.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If you sanitize the keg properly and use CO2 / Nitrogen blanket you should never have an issue.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
  Bad welds can harbor organic material which can lead to infections.  AKA they are hard to sanitize.
Since I presume your kegged beer will be held cold, infection shouldn't be that big of a risk since it likely won't grow to a noticeable level before you drink it.  I guess that goes out the window if you are aging in your keg.
Hell, if you are really worried about it, the boiling water route will kill almost everything.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, you've basically gone through the same thought process that I had, just looking for confirmation.

Also, the upside of this keg over the other one is that I can clearly and easily see the vertical weld in this keg, so I can keep an eye on it between fills, and also scrub it with a toothbrush if needed.

The only reason it irks me is that the welds on the outside, as well as the horizontal welds on in the inside are extremely smooth.  Why the hell isn't the vertical weld like that?

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of kegs?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top