Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2015 9:38:32 PM EDT
I thought this might be a great way to have a fun and informative thread, I hope you all agree!  The idea is simple: post either a craft beer or home brew that your drinking and what you think about it.  Pics are highly-encouraged!  No need to be formal in your reviews, we've got beer advocate for that...  Let's share what we love and maybe turn others onto things they may not yet know about...

My contribution for tonight:

Oskar Blues Ten Fidy (Imperial Stout)

This is one of my favorites and, as you can see, this example has a year on it.  OB marks the can "Half-Baked, Fully Roasted Ale."  I have to say that "roasty" is the perfect word to describe the dominant aroma and flavor I get up front.  Its 10.5%ABV. (hence the name)  Low carbonation, thick and chewy mouth feel with what I describe as a long and slow aftertaste.  (as opposed to some stouts that finish very abrubtly/sharply on the tongue)  I get lots of roasted malt flavor, some coffee that fades into that warm alchohol burn in the back of the mouth.  All that said, its surprisingly smooth and balanced, very approachable for those that may not be that big into big heavy stouts.  My beer review skills are not all that refined so I will just finish where I started - I love big stouts, and this is one of my favorites.  If you like stouts, and haven't sampled Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, I'd say definitely give it a try!

Normally I would have poured this into a goblet, but they're all dirty and I'm too damn tired to wash them...  

Fun fact:  OB includes a witty phrase of some sort that changes from batch to batch:

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks GOOOOOOOD!
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
My offering for today - Great Divide Brewing Co.'s Yeti Imperial Stout

This is my first time drinking this beer, though I've read lots of good things about it.  I'm halfway through the bottle and I'm liking it so far!  

Its a bomber, obviously.  Smooth/lower carbonation.  Has a very slightly sweet taste initially that quickly turns to dominant coffee.  Tiny bit of warmth on the back-end but a very smooth drink overall.  The aroma reminds me of Speedway Stout, for those that have had it, but the taste is lighter.  Its light but thick, makes you lick your lips, if that makes sense...  Its super-easy-drinking and hides its 9.5% ABV very well.  Have to remember to drink slow and savor, you can easily start drinking this too fast and miss out on the goodness.  I'm a fan, definitely a very nice stout and I will be buying these a few at a time now...

So what are you drinking?

Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#3]
You have good tastes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have good tastes.
View Quote

Why thank you  

We're probably going out tonight so I'm hoping we end up somewhere with good beer...
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]

It says NO PUMPKIN ANYTHING under my can of All Green Everything, & I think my Mosiac said DREAM OF THE 90S
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:28:51 AM EDT
[#7]
OST
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oskar Blues makes several of my favorites.  Old Chub and fresh Dale's Pale Ale are great stuff.
View Quote

Old Chub is the dark Scottish ale, right?  I had it for the first time earlier this month, it was pretty good.

Edit: here's the Old Chubb I had

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://nycraftbeerguide.com/wp-content/uploads/Other-Half-All-Green-Everything-Triple-IPA-and-Citra-IPA-Available-in-Cans-Next-Saturday.jpg

It says NO PUMPKIN ANYTHING under my can of All Green Everything, & I think my Mosiac said DREAM OF THE 90S
View Quote

Nice...  
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I have something special for tonight...  Its my 18th wedding anniversary, Halloween and my younger son's 11th birthday so I figured let's celebrate a little in between knocks at the door by trick-or-treaters!

Alesmith Decadence 2013 Anniversary Lager

This is a German-style Doppelbock lager.  This particular example was bottled 9/16/13, so a hair over 2 years of age.    Upon opening, a very slow foam-up occurred in the bottle as it was sitting on my desk.  (was actually kind of neat how slowly it bubbled over)  Color is a translucent brown/caramel to maybe amber.  I tried to backlight the glass with a flashlight in the one pic, to give you a better idea of it.  Aroma is sweet, sugar, maybe some raisin?  Its 10% ABV, which you can sense on the back-end of the aftertaste, but hidden well overall.  Taste is familiar to many doppelbocks I've have had before, but a bit syrupy.  There's a caramelized surgar sweetness to the taste from front to back, that lingers on a while in the mouth.  I would say this is a rich beer, with no bitterness that I can detect at all.  Very low carbonation.  

Overall, pretty amazing beer.  I would not drink something this sweet often, but I really appreciate the quality of what I've got here.  I give it a thumbs up!

So who else is enjoying a brew tonight?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm working but that sounds delicious!

Congrats in the anniversary, bday and such
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]
So this one is from last night, but I was too tired to post it up...  Here we have something a little different - smoked imperial stout!

Evil Twin Brewing Ashtray Heart

Well, what can I say about the name...    This here concoction is 8.9% ABV.  It smells like...  an ashtray.  It tastes like...  drinking a light stout out of an ashtray.  Higher carbonation, lighter/crisper taste completely overpowered by the aroma and taste of the smoke.  Some coffee comes through in the aftertaste.  I've had smoked beers before, but never a stout.  Was hoping for something more flavorful, perhaps the "bacon beer - stout version" but this was definitely not it.  This really does smell and taste like cigar ashes.  It wasn't necessarily revolting - I was able to drink a good bit of it - but I'm not a fan.

They can't all be winners, I guess.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I notice a theme in your beers.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
FYI guys, you all can post any beer... including your homebrew stuff here... i mean, it is a homebrew sub forum and all.
View Quote

Indeed!  I got sidetracked with life this week but will be posting up again this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I notice a theme in your beers.
View Quote

Yeah, l happen to have a lot of the dark stuff on deck right now.  I had blown through a bunch of marzens and "festbiers" just before I started this thread.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.

I'm not a beer judge, so I'll dispense with the attempts at flowery language and just eave a link to beer advocate.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/226/

I also do not have a smart phone, and its too much work to upload pictures.

Anyway, I love this beer.

When I was in Ohio, this was my stable beer (before I home brewed).

Bought some for a Haloween party last week.  Only one survived.....until now. Mwuhahahah!

ETA::

Oh, and screw it.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Finally picked up Ballast Point's Calm Before the Storm, looking forward to Victory At Sea hitting the shelves. This Sixpoint is good stuff as well.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.

I'm not a beer judge, so I'll dispense with the attempts at flowery language and just eave a link to beer advocate.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/226/

I also do not have a smart phone, and its too much work to upload pictures.

Anyway, I love this beer.

When I was in Ohio, this was my stable beer (before I home brewed).

Bought some for a Haloween party last week.  Only one survived.....until now. Mwuhahahah!

ETA::

Oh, and screw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A

View Quote

Excellent!  I'm a fan the EF myself.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfp1/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/11906296_163835900626472_489194140_n.jpg

Finally picked up Ballast Point's Calm Before the Storm, looking forward to Victory At Sea hitting the shelves. This Sixpoint is good stuff as well.

View Quote

I've only tried one variety of Ballast Point: Sea Monster. I have to get my hands on some more of their work.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Cool thread. I've really enjoyed a couple of offerings from Oskar Blues. The Dale's Pale Ale and Old Chub are my favorites from them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Tonight I have an old standby...  

Founders Breakfast Stout

As the bottle proclaims:  Double chocolate, coffee oatmeal stout.  My best summary review is mmm, mmm good!

This one is 8.3% ABV and is pretty light and easy drinking.  Taste is coffee first, coffee second and chocolate third.  I will admit, I once had one of these along with bananas foster French toast at a brunch.  It was an amazing pairing...  

This one doesn't need too many words, its just a good go-to staple beer.  I approve!

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#23]
^^ That must be a bottle from 2014. The ATF made them take the baby off of the label
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Old Chub is the dark Scottish ale, right?  I had it for the first time earlier this month, it was pretty good.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=82085
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oskar Blues makes several of my favorites.  Old Chub and fresh Dale's Pale Ale are great stuff.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=82085

I had some of the Old Chub Nitro at a beer tasting this weekend. It was delicious! Very creamy.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
^^ That must be a bottle from 2014. The ATF made them take the baby off of the label
View Quote

Its from a 4 pack and the other 3 are marked bottled 9/26/15.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Drank one of my "Oregon Trail Pale Ale" beers.

This is a recipe from my local brew supply store (was on sale).

Its basically just Willamette hops and pilsner LME.

I really don't like this beer.  Of the three 5 gallon beers that I've made thus far, this is my least favorite. Hell...I even had some Mr. Beer kit beers that I liked better than this.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#27]
This evening's selection was made specifically with ARFCOM in mind...  Alesmith Brewing Company Evil Dead Red Ale!

Obviously this is a Halloween special for them.  Its hoppy, very hoppy.  Nicely matched with a little malty caramel aftertaste.  The bottle says it has a pine and citrus aroma, which I would say is more like sour pine.  (if that makes any sense)  I backlit the glass to try and show the color - its definitely red with light on it, kind of a brown without the direct light.  Its pretty good.  Not something I normally drink but zombies on the label won me over.  I like Alesmith's brews an awful lot, so I had confidence it would be good.  Great quality, not exactly in my ideal flavor zone, but I have to say its not bad at all...

Cheers!  

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I really don't like this beer.  Of the three 5 gallon beers that I've made thus far, this is my least favorite. Hell...I even had some Mr. Beer kit beers that I liked better than this.
View Quote

That's unfortunate...

I faintly remember a saying from my misguided youth - sometimes, bad beer is better than good anything else!  
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That's unfortunate...

I faintly remember a saying from my misguided youth - sometimes, bad beer is better than good anything else!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's unfortunate...

I'll adapt something I heard about Pizza to beer:

Beer is like sex, when its good, its really good. When its bad, its still pretty good.

Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, I was travelling on business this week.  Good trip but I'm glad to be home!  For tonight, I offer you:

The Lost Abbey Judgment Day Ale!

Bottled on 4/17/15.  The bottle describes this as a Belgian-style dark quad, brewed with raisins.  It has a light raisin/grape smell to it, for sure.  High carbonation, thick head that stuck around in the glass the entire time I drank it.  Taste is light, very slight hint of grape/raisin.  This is 10.5% ABV but does not have any sort of alcohol burn or aftertaste.  Its drinks smooth and easy, not a thick beer by any measure.  Overall, I like it.  I think I would get bored after too long, though, as it doesn't have anything terribly "interesting" going on.

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I just started reading in this subforum. I figure I could add this here. Its bells 30th anniversary imperial stout. It is a fantastic imperial. I only have three of the six pack left and I'm hoping to find more. It is really smooth drinking for an imperial and has a pretty high abv.

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just started reading in this subforum. I figure I could add this here. Its bells 30th anniversary imperial stout. It is a fantastic imperial. I only have three of the six pack left and I'm hoping to find more. It is really smooth drinking for an imperial and has a pretty high abv.

<a href="http://s991.photobucket.com/user/nickman54/media/C2CBA081-EC08-4689-A84F-D827E8F6B1D6_zpsclohf4wp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af36/nickman54/C2CBA081-EC08-4689-A84F-D827E8F6B1D6_zpsclohf4wp.jpg</a>
View Quote

Hey now!  I'm a big fan of Bell's Expedition Stout, I'm going to have to go look for some of this stuff!
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Carbonation and flavor checks on an 18% abv quad. I wanted to make the biggest quad I've ever made, this is it. I used too much body-building grains, it's a bit thick. The flavor is good, but more carbonation will help this beer a lot. I'll check again in January.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Excellent thread sir. Oskar blues ten fidy is great.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Carbonation and flavor checks on an 18% abv quad. I wanted to make the biggest quad I've ever made, this is it. I used too much body-building grains, it's a bit thick. The flavor is good, but more carbonation will help this beer a lot. I'll check again in January.
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/beerswimmer/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151115_212118_741_zpsutwbhtdr.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I am doubtful this is a true "craft" beer, but it is quite good... and cheap enough at the class six.  

Founders Brewing, Dirty Bastard Scotch Style ale.  8.5%

Not highly carbonated and a good flavor that anything scotchy should have.  Lots of carmelness without becoming sticky.  It isn't quite as good as an Old Chub (Oskar Blues Brew.) but it is the best I have at hand as I transit the American South.  

Please forgive the lack of glass, but there isn't one readily available.  

http://i.imgur.com/kejdSlW.jpg
View Quote

I'll see your Dirty Bastard and raise you a Backwoods Bastard!  Its basically the Scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels.  Heavy bourbon/sweet flavor.  (and I mean heavy...)  I'm told they use "wet" barrels, which imparts the major bourbon flavor.  Its good but super rich.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I must try this.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am doubtful this is a true "craft" beer, but it is quite good... and cheap enough at the class six.  

Not highly carbonated and a good flavor that anything scotchy should have.  Lots of carmelness without becoming sticky.  It isn't quite as good as an Old Chub (Oskar Blues Brew.) but it is the best I have at hand as I transit the American South.  

I'll see your Dirty Bastard and raise you a Backwoods Bastard!  Its basically the Scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels.  Heavy bourbon/sweet flavor.  (and I mean heavy...)  I'm told they use "wet" barrels, which imparts the major bourbon flavor.  Its good but super rich.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=82841

I must try this.  

I got a 4-pack, drank one, and put the other 3 in the cellar fridge for a few months.  Too much right now...it needs to mellow a bit.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Greetings beer lovers!  For tonight, I offer you something new to me:

Two Roads Brewing Unorthodox

This is a Russian Imperial Stout.  The bottle describes it as "brewed with malted rye and aggressively hopped with four different US varieties."  I can taste a bit of the rye in it, definitely a bit hoppy and the after taste is bitter coffee.  This is 9.2% ABV and it drinks light, but with a slight warmth/alcohol burn. (very slight)  It kinda sorta reminds of Old Rasputin, but I would prefer OR over this.  Overall, this is a bit more bitter than I would prefer in my stouts, but I'm enjoying it.  

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I got a 4-pack, drank one, and put the other 3 in the cellar fridge for a few months.  Too much right now...it needs to mellow a bit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=82841

I must try this.  

I did the same thing.  Its an intense flavor right now...
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#42]

some of my recent conquests. the TwoRoads double IPA was ok, not world class but I would definitely recommend it. The SouthernTier Tripel was pretty interesting, I think it only comes in bombers right now. Kind of a soapy banana flavor with citrus notes. I buy a six of SlyFox Christmas every year & it never disappoints. I will say that the ginger / clove is way over the top compared to other winter warmers. I also picked up this to serve guests tomorrow:

I was hoping EvilGenius would make their Naughty or Nice seasonal and they released this instead. Very drinkable, nice subtle floral finish.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Good thread.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Happy goose day.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#45]
All Tallahassee got was the stout.  We had coffee, Barley wine, and the specialty one last year.  I'm pretty dissapointed.

I did get both farm/sour ales though.  Lolitta and Mrs blushe or whatever.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Today was good

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Here's one for you guys. Damn good if you like scotch.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Here's one for you guys. Damn good if you like scotch.

<a href="http://s991.photobucket.com/user/nickman54/media/2BB0B017-6880-427F-9361-5C91777DDBE6_zps4tznpvm3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af36/nickman54/2BB0B017-6880-427F-9361-5C91777DDBE6_zps4tznpvm3.jpg</a>
View Quote

This pertains to my interests

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Happy Sunday fellow beer lovers!  After a rough weekend of online shopping, I felt the need to indulge myself.  Tonight, I offer you what may be my absolute favorite brew!

Alesmith Speedway Stout

In my very humble opinion, this is one of the finest examples of what the craft beer industry has to offer.  A 12% ABV Imperial Stout, this is a "big beer."  However, its smooth-drinking and oh-so tasty.  Deep, thick, dark and delicious.  The last picture below is me holding a 1,000 lumen Surefire P3X Fury to backlight the glass - look how dark that sucker is!  The bottle describes the flavor of this beer with words like chocolate, roasted malt, dark fruit, toffee and caramel.  Yes, yes and yes...  This is not a sweet beer, per se, but it has the aroma of those sugars.  It also leaves a wonderful warmth and lingering alcohol burn in the back of your throat and into your chest.  A couple of these bomber bottles will put anyone into a place of sublime numbness!

I've had these with as much as 2 years of bottle-aging on them and they become oh my good smooth.  (Tonight's example has only a few months on it)  For me, I think the sweet-spot on this is about 14-16 months.  At least, those are the bottles I seem to recall enjoying the most.

In case I forgot to mention it, this is my favorite beer.  If you've never tried it, and you happen to run across it, you owe it to yourself to try at least one.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Have you tried any of the Speedway variants? Vietnamese Coffee Speedway is my all time favorite beer!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top