Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2015 11:39:07 AM EDT
Back in march i made a belgian golden ale and low abv scotch ale and put them both into Kegs for bulk aging. The plan was to now leave the scotch and bottle the belgian...........as fate would have it i guess i put enough pressure into the keggs that both are now carbonated.........at this point do i have to just stick with being in the Keg? ??
thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#1]
No use can use a counter pressure bottle filler.
Look around and you should find plans on how to make one or buy one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.  Blichmann beer gun is a popular one, but it is $75 plus accessories.

Now, I suppose you can warm it up, add the appropriate amount of priming sugar, and repitch an appropriate amount of yeast.  With that said, overcarbonating would be a concern.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're set on carbing in bottle you can always take the kegs of pressure and leave the pressure vent open for a few days. I did that to a beer I overcarbed a couple years ago and it worked fine. I also shook mine every couple hours (remember to close vent before shaking ). That being said, I find that carbing in keg then bottling with a Beer Gun is superior to bottle carbing in many way, chief among them is precise control over carb levels. Not having to explain to family/friends that "sediment" is perfectly normal is a huge plus too, there's no sediment in keg-carbed bottled.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you use the gun to keg carb do the bottles stay good as long as they would have been if they had been naturally carved?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you use the gun to keg carb do the bottles stay good as long as they would have been if they had been naturally carved?
View Quote

Yes.  If properly sanitized and kept cold, your beers will be good for years (depending on style, of course).  Hell, it may actually reduce oxygenation compared to bottle conditioning.

CO2 in solution is CO2 in solution.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes.  If properly sanitized and kept cold, your beers will be good for years (depending on style, of course).  Hell, it may actually reduce oxygenation compared to bottle conditioning.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain your thought here?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Beer guns (at least Blichmann's) have a CO2 gas hook-up on them as well so you can purge bottles of all oxygen before filling, not to mention that the beer itself is already off-gassing CO2. When you carb in bottle with sugar/ dme/ whatever your preference, the headspace contains oxygen and the beer is exposed to that, even if a little, before naturally carbonating.

The difference may be small, and to be honest I'm not sure any of us could tell a difference over the course of a couple months. Over a couple years though? Possibly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Beer guns (at least Blichmann's) have a CO2 gas hook-up on them as well so you can purge bottles of all oxygen before filling, not to mention that the beer itself is already off-gassing CO2. When you carb in bottle with sugar/ dme/ whatever your preference, the headspace contains oxygen and the beer is exposed to that, even if a little, before naturally carbonating.

The difference may be small, and to be honest I'm not sure any of us could tell a difference over the course of a couple months. Over a couple years though? Possibly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see your idea, I just know that it has also been said that some brewers bottle condition for the very reason that O2 is less (due to ferment eating it), so was curious.  I'm sure it can go either way depending on your systems.

ETA:  One thing I wish I understood more was the gas mixing effect, that CO2 doesn't leave a "blanket" and how it would really look in a purge type situation.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 12:40:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can purge the bottle with CO2 before and after filling before capping.  Plus, you can go straight from the fermenter into a CO2 purged keg, carbonate, then shoot into a purged bottle.  

With "normal" bottling you leave your fermenter into an air filled bottling bucket which pours into an air filled bottle.  I guess you could use a separate tube to purge all of the above, but what a pain.

ETA:  IIRC CO2 is pretty dense compared to air.  I'd imagine the portion of gas in contact with the beer as the bottle fills would mainly be CO2.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can purge the bottle with CO2 before and after filling before capping.  Plus, you can go straight from the fermenter into a CO2 purged keg, carbonate, then shoot into a purged bottle.  

With "normal" bottling you leave your fermenter into an air filled bottling bucket which pours into an air filled bottle.  I guess you could use a separate tube to purge all of the above, but what a pain.

ETA:  IIRC CO2 is pretty dense compared to air.  I'd imagine the portion of gas in contact with the beer as the bottle fills would mainly be CO2.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look back there is a thread where our resident pro brewer answers this too, but I haven't looked, he recommended bottle conditioning for long aging beers; I dispute that one is universally better than the other, or you wouldn't have major breweries that care about quality like sierra nevada bottle condition everything.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the former Brewers/ microbiologist @ Serria Nevada is a homebrewer and got his start homebrewing, well that and his PHd in MB . He stated the company is very open to questioning by Homebrewers but will stop short of giving up direct recipies. I would say to shoot them an email and see where it goes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top