Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2015 11:16:50 PM EDT
yup just bought this place and it came with a glass top stove. I hate these things but a new stove top is not going to happen for a while, have any of you folks brewed on one?

I need to get some holiday beers going, because I cant face them sober...

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I have brewed extract on one...maybe 3.5 gallons on the biggest burner.  It was slow to reach boiling, but generally fine.

ETA:  A decent propane setup can be had for less than $100.  Taking it outside makes things more pleasant.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I have brewed extract on one...maybe 3.5 gallons on the biggest burner.  It was slow to reach boiling, but generally fine.  

ETA:  A decent propane setup can be had for less than $100.  Taking it outside makes things more pleasant.  
View Quote

Thanks I may have to do that,
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are needing supplies, Midwest has a deal where you can get a propane burner for free if you spend over $125.  

Are you doing all grain, partial mash, or extract?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Go outside, Propane king-kooker type thing.  All grain is so much easier outside.  Build a 3 tier system and build a mash tun out of an igloo cooler with a false bottom.  Sparge into that to a kettle.  Only real worry is doing it outside attracts every damn bee from miles around.  Guess they like the smell of boiling sugary wort and hops.  Build a wort chiller (be careful not to burn your grass up like I did)

No matter how hard I tried I would always have a boil over in the kitchen and the floor would be sticky for days  Pissed the wife off something terrible.
Outside keeps this from happening and brewing is ALOT faster with propane heating.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never had a boil over, even running two simultaneous batches on a commercial stove.  I am going to bet you aren't using a large enough pot.  

If I didn't have a commercial stove, I would be doing it outside on a turbo burner.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for outdoor propane burner. I think I paid $45ish shipped for my sp10 burner. Already had the propane tank, but I bought another off craigslist to swap in when the other ran out on brew day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Get an outdoor burner, makes it easier to do full volume boils too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top