Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2015 4:36:00 PM EDT
Made a batch of Graham's English Cider a while back. It came out pretty well, I had to rack it off to a second keg and cold crash it and let it set weeks to finally clear up. I think I used Safeale US-05 yeast. Overall it tasted good, I used Trader Joe's apple juice, added 64oz after the cold crash and kept it at serving temp from that point on. I think it took around 4 months to finish.

The next trip to Trader Joe's I picked up another 5 gal of apple juice. It sat in the pantry for several months and SWMBO was getting tired of it taking up space and kept reminding me of the expiration date. She finally got on my last nerve so 11pm (you're not going to do that now are you?!) I cleaned out my fermentation keg, dumped all 5 gal of juice in and pitched some Red Star Cote des Blancs yeast. Put my spunding valve on at 10PSI, let it ferment for a day at room temp then stuck it in the keezer at 68 deg F. I checked on it about 2 weeks later and it was still cranking away. Yesterday was the 28 day mark, no more gas coming off so I pulled a sample to see what it looked & tasted like. It was clear as glass, and crisp with a nice carbonation. It tastes like it's ready now and actually better than the previous batch. Didn't have time to chill a larger sample or take a SG reading. I think the Cote des Blancs is going to be my go to yeast for cider for now on.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I made a great one with Chimay yeast, it only took a week to ferment out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top