Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2015 7:27:25 PM EDT
It's finally time!!! Either you love them, or hate them. I freaking LOVE them So let's see your favorite rcipes.

I'm thinking something like this:

10lbs pale 2-row
1lb crystal 60
1lb biscuit

1oz Cascade @60
.5oz Saaz @5

2lbs brown sugar @5 in boil
1 can pumpkin pie mixed with some brown sugar and baked until carmelized, added @5 in boil
1tbs pumpkin pie spice at flameout
1 vanilla bean at flameout
US-05

1 more tbs added to priming sugar and boiled before dumping into bottling bucket

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate them, I hope that nasty sweet crap style goes away someday.

This from someone who loves Vanilla Bourbon Imperial Porter.  Pumpkin beers don't even taste like pumpkin, you can make them with butternut squash and crap.

I would rather see someone make a rich, kind of dry sweet potato beer (using it in the mash/enzymes) for fall than pack a bunch of pumpkin pie spices into a sweet amber recipe
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont have my recipe in front of me, ill try to get the details posted up when i get home.
But i use 32oz of canned pumpkin in the mash along with my grain. temp ~150*(IIRC)
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I HATE   sweet potatoes, so there

I bought the ingredients for a partial(don't have the time today for a full mash), I'm roasting the pumpkin with brown sugar right now

It's a bit of a copy of Shipyard's Smashed Pumpkin Ale.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
This post was from a few months ago.  It's sitting in my kegerator aging out for another 2-3 months.  With that said, it is damn tasty already.

I'll have a more traditional pumpkin ale in September.
Southern Tier Warlock Clone: http://www.stbcbeer.com/black-water/warlock/

This is one of my favorite beers, and I'm trying to clone it.  It's a
pretty standard stout at first, but it explodes with pumpkin, vanilla,
and pumpkin pie spices after the initial flavor.  

I used this kit as a base:  http://www.homebrewing.org/Vanilla-Imperial-Stout-All-Grain-Recipe_p_4929.html

Recipe:

15.5 lbs 2 Row

1lbs chocolate malt

8 oz Carafa II

8 oz Caramel/crystal malt-60L

60 min 1 oz Cluster Hops

15 min Whirlfloc

10 min 5 teaspoons Fermax Yeast nutrient

5 min 87oz canned pumpkin, toasted for 1 hour at 350. (Yes, 87oz.  It came in 29oz cans)

5 min 1 oz pumpkin pie spice

Flameout 1 oz pumpkin pie spice, 5 min steep

3.5 quart starter of WLP001 pitched at 78 degrees.  http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp001-california-ale-yeast

I used this calculator based off of a planned OG of 1.090 with "intermittent shaking": http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

I purchased my own grain mill, put it on it's smallest setting, and
ground my own grain.  Completely different consistency compared to the
pale ale i did a few weeks ago.  http://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-Killer-Grain-Mill_p_2310.html

I mashed in at 152 degrees.  After 30 minutes, it dropped to 150 so I added a quart of boiling water to raise it back to 151.

After 60 minutes I cleared the wort and drained off the initial 4ish gallons.

I did a batch sparge at 168 with 3.6 gallons.  The runnings from the batch sparge were 1.030.

Initial boil volume was 7.86 gallons with an OG of 1.053.  I knew my
evaporation rate was pretty high and there would be lots of pumpkin
fiber, so this was planned.

I racked 5.25 gallons into my fermenter with an OG of 1.084 (70.7%
brewhouse efficiency I'm quite happy with this compared to my last
brew).  I knew I would gain 2 quarts or so of liquid from my yeast
starter, and I only have a 6.5 gallon fermenter.  Plus, the trub will be
massive from all of the pumpkin fiber.  I hope to get 4-4.5 gallons
into the secondary fermenter.

I pitched at 78 degrees (because I am impatient) and put it into a 68
degree fermentation keezer.  After 5 hours, it was pleasantly bubbling.

I'll rack to secondary in 5-7 days.  Depending on how much trub develops
in the secondary, I'll potentially rack to a tertiary fermenter.  I'm
planning on aging this beer until September or October.

I have 3 vanilla beans soaking in 100mL of Tito's Vodka.  I'll scrape
the beans and toss the whole thing into the fermenter in 2ish months.  
Right now, the wort smelled great...kind of like a PSL (pumpkin spice
latte for all non-basic bitches).  I'll throw in another ounce of
pumpkin pie spices before kegging if necessary.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This post was from a few months ago.  It's sitting in my kegerator aging out for another 2-3 months.  With that said, it is damn tasty already.

I'll have a more traditional pumpkin ale in September.

Southern Tier Warlock Clone: http://www.stbcbeer.com/black-water/warlock/

This is one of my favorite beers, and I'm trying to clone it.  It's a pretty standard stout at first, but it explodes with pumpkin, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spices after the initial flavor.  

I used this kit as a base:  http://www.homebrewing.org/Vanilla-Imperial-Stout-All-Grain-Recipe_p_4929.html

Recipe:
15.5 lbs 2 Row
1lbs chocolate malt
8 oz Carafa II
8 oz Caramel/crystal malt-60L
60 min 1 oz Cluster Hops
15 min Whirlfloc
10 min 5 teaspoons Fermax Yeast nutrient
5 min 87oz canned pumpkin, toasted for 1 hour at 350. (Yes, 87oz.  It came in 29oz cans)
5 min 1 oz pumpkin pie spice
Flameout 1 oz pumpkin pie spice, 5 min steep

3.5 quart starter of WLP001 pitched at 78 degrees.  http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp001-california-ale-yeast
I used this calculator based off of a planned OG of 1.090 with "intermittent shaking": http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

I purchased my own grain mill, put it on it's smallest setting, and ground my own grain.  Completely different consistency compared to the pale ale i did a few weeks ago.  http://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-Killer-Grain-Mill_p_2310.html

I mashed in at 152 degrees.  After 30 minutes, it dropped to 150 so I added a quart of boiling water to raise it back to 151.
After 60 minutes I cleared the wort and drained off the initial 4ish gallons.
I did a batch sparge at 168 with 3.6 gallons.  The runnings from the batch sparge were 1.030.

Initial boil volume was 7.86 gallons with an OG of 1.053.  I knew my evaporation rate was pretty high and there would be lots of pumpkin fiber, so this was planned.

I racked 5.25 gallons into my fermenter with an OG of 1.084 (70.7% brewhouse efficiency I'm quite happy with this compared to my last brew).  I knew I would gain 2 quarts or so of liquid from my yeast starter, and I only have a 6.5 gallon fermenter.  Plus, the trub will be massive from all of the pumpkin fiber.  I hope to get 4-4.5 gallons into the secondary fermenter.

I pitched at 78 degrees (because I am impatient) and put it into a 68 degree fermentation keezer.  After 5 hours, it was pleasantly bubbling.

I'll rack to secondary in 5-7 days.  Depending on how much trub develops in the secondary, I'll potentially rack to a tertiary fermenter.  I'm planning on aging this beer until September or October.

I have 3 vanilla beans soaking in 100mL of Tito's Vodka.  I'll scrape the beans and toss the whole thing into the fermenter in 2ish months.  Right now, the wort smelled great...kind of like a PSL (pumpkin spice latte for all non-basic bitches).  I'll throw in another ounce of pumpkin pie spices before kegging if necessary.  
View Quote

That's a good one! I like Warlock better than Pumking
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]
So my partial extract Smashed Pumpkin clone came in at 1.086. I'll be letting it ferment and then add the spices in secondary. So far, so good

6lbs extra light DME
2lbs wheat DME
1lbs Belgian bicuit
1lb crystal 60

1oz magnum @60
1oz Hallertau @10

2lbs brown sugar @15
2 29oz cans of pumkin pie mix that were previously roasted with brown sugar @15

secondary spices will be 1tbs pumkin pie spice, a whole vanilla bean

priming will be with brown sugar boiled with another tbs of spices.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Made another one today,more of an "Imperial" pumpkin that will have 2lbs D-180 added in 2 days, then rum added in secondary.

OG 1.096
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well I HATE   sweet potatoes, so there

I bought the ingredients for a partial(don't have the time today for a full mash), I'm roasting the pumpkin with brown sugar right now

It's a bit of a copy of Shipyard's Smashed Pumpkin Ale.
View Quote

It surely DOES prove that you lack "correct" taste buds
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I added the 2lbs of D-180 today, by my bad math skills I believe the OG to now be 1.101. Should be killer! I'll be buying the ingredients to make the Warlock clone sometime this week or next. I've always thought that it was just like a pumpkin spice latte
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I got more coffee than I would have liked.  Vanilla was week, so maybe add more vanilla beans...I had a taste last night and it isn't coming through as much as I would have liked.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
This is not a tag.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Bad update    My wife opened the window of the ferment room 2 days ago and didn't tell me. I went in and it was HOT in there, and had been for the past 2 days and nights. The 2 pumkin beers were down to 1.010, and 1.012.  There went the sweetness I was hoping to have  I tasted them, no harsh alcohol flavors, so I guess they'll be OK. Not great, but OK.....  I added the spices to the first one, I'll let it sit for a few days and add the spices and rum to the second one and start to cold crash them one after the other. Damn, I had high hopes
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you cold crash out as much yeast as possible then add some sugar of your choice to get back that sweetness?  What yeast did you use?  The alcohol you made could have killed much of yeast with low alcohol tolerance.

ETA:  Looks like Safale-05 is good to 12%

If it's any consolation, you had 87% attenuation.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, US-05 and Chimay yeast. I wish these beers only went down to like 1.016 at the most. Have you ever heard of adding lactose(non fermentable sugar) in secondary to back sweeten? I don't want to keg these, I want to bottle them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I don'the see any reason not to, as long as the change in mouthfeel won't detract from what you want.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd really like to make an all-grain pumpkin beer.  However I'm not looking forward to pumpkin sludge clogging up my brew stand and scorching on the heat element.  Any recipes that add the pumpkin to the fermenter instead?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'd really like to make an all-grain pumpkin beer.  However I'm not looking forward to pumpkin sludge clogging up my brew stand and scorching on the heat element.  Any recipes that add the pumpkin to the fermenter instead?
View Quote

If you're feeling froggy, you can just mash it with your grain.  Stuck sparges are troublesome though.

Or, you can go in the other direction and use an extract Like Southern Tier (supposedly)  does for their beers.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0069P159A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2G5ORL64E8ZMK&coliid=I2032GXXRHWRCU

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I put the pumpkin into a nylon mesh bag used for hops and tossed it into the boil. I had minimal pumpkin matter in the fermenter, most of it stayed in the bag.  I just bottled a batch this afternoon and there was nothing different about the trub.

ETA: this batch was a mix between Pumking and Smashed Pumpkin recipes. It was crazy delicious, and is 10% even
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:30:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Bottled the big imperial one yesterday and had a glass while I was at it. It's more of a pumpkin quad than anything. I used a half cup of D-180 for the priming sugar and added 16oz of Myers dark rum that had the spices and a vanilla bean soaking in it. The flavors are:sweet(yeah!), caramel, rum, pumpkin, pumpkin spices, Belgian esters and phenols, and alcohol. This is going to be a killer dessert beer that I'll put away until X-mas time!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top