Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2015 8:29:59 AM EDT
Any suggestions on where to start?

Twould be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
homebrewtalk.com is a great place to start, it is the ARFCOM of the brewing world. There are several good books on the subject, but I would suggest starting online to learn basics and terminology.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any suggestions on where to start?

Twould be appreciated.
View Quote

Free Book By Palmer, How To Brew

edit:
This was the first book I had on homebrewing and I got hooked. I began with an Liquid Malt Extract kits, a 6 gallon plastic bucket, a pack of pellet hops, dried yeast and some santi-tabs or something like that in 1992. My buddies and I drank Grolsh beer until I had enough to bottle 5 gallons of beer. The first batch was amazing! And I was hooked.

Fast forward 10 years and I was brewing all-grain, buying 50lb sacks of grain and hops by the lb, kegging with nearly 30 5-gal kegs, moving into yeast ranching (obtaining strains of yeast from a slant or slide and propogating them into 5L starters) and could ferment up to 25 gallons at a time.

There are so many different paths you can go, competitions, trying weird and exotic brews, or whatever. I never went the way of competition, I liked my beers and gave a lot away to friends and relatives. Everyone want me to come over with my portable keg system.

I do not brew currently but enjoy helping those that do.

Back when I was brewing big a brew forum member Hightest was the mead king. He put together a great resource but had a falling out w/ the forum owner. Hightest's Honey Haven

I hope that helps.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 12:00:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's something tasty and super easy to make to get your feet wet: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860

While you're at Homebrewtalk.com, look up Joe's Ancient Orange Mead.  It is also really easy to make.  I made it and it was too sweet for me, but I believe there are solutions to that within the thread.

I purchased a starter kit from Midwest Supplies.  They have different kits to choose from. I think it's a pretty good place to start.  If you have a local homebrew store you can easily pick up gear as you need it instead of going with a kit,
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
IM sent
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IM sent
View Quote

I thank ya
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Where are you @ in NC? there are several really good Brewstores in NC. I used to drive up to Raleigh to buy grain.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Seek out a local brew club, contact them to see if you can come by and check out a brew session.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a bunch of one gallon apple juice jugs I went to the local homebrew store and bought a pile of #6 stoppers and a pile of airlocks. Super cheap way to do gallon batches of mead if using fruit might get some hose for blowoff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top