Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2015 1:26:44 AM EDT
Thinking about adding 4-8 oz of blackstrap molasses in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil in an Irish Dry Stout kit I picked up last week.  The last beer I brewed was a Milk Stout with a hint of vanilla and everyone loved it.  I am not looking for something overly sweet, I  just enjoy those little flavors that pop out unexpectedly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thinking about adding 4-8 oz of blackstrap molasses in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil in an Irish Dry Stout kit I picked up last week.  The last beer I brewed was a Milk Stout with a hint of vanilla and everyone loved it.  I am not looking for something overly sweet, I  just enjoy those little flavors that pop out unexpectedly.
View Quote

I'd give it a shot. Never used molasses my self.
Thats the fun of home brewing though, you can try damn near anything.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't worry, blackstrap shouldn't make it overly sweet.  It's basically the toxic sludge that is left over once all of the sugar is taken out.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure you really like the flavor of molasses. It gets strong quick.
I added some to a stout, it was a molasses beer that happened to be a stout.
I added 5Tbs to 5 gallons. WAAAAAAAAAY to strong for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Brew day was yesterday, I went big and hit all 8oz for 5 gallons.  Using the Brewers Best Irish Stout kit, I have noticed really nice aromatics when steeping my specialty grains with other kits.  Not so much with this one,  during the boil the wort smelled bland.  Once I added the molasses it seemed to liven up nicely.  I will report back in 4-6 weeks with my findings
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be curious on this one.
That was a TON of molasses for 5 gallons. Could be good, or you might have to age that sucker for 6months or more like an Olde Ale to take the bite off.

Standing by for updates...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
here is the recipe I got my inspiration from and a side by side with the brewers best kit I used.  I added 8 oz of Molasses at the 45 minute mark of the boil as called for in the Porter recipe
I am going to rack to secondary this weekend so if you feel something's missing let me know

Found in
The Complete Homebrew Beer Book
by George Hummel

Colonial Porter

8 lbs UK dark malt extract
8-10 AAUs UK style hops (Challenger, Pilgrim, or Target)
8 oz Blackstrap Molasses
1.5 oz UK hops (Bramling Cross, Fuggle, or East Kent Golding
1 sachet Frementis S-04 or Danstar Nottingham ale yeast

Brewer's Best Dry Irish Stout

3 lbs UK dark liquid malt extract
2 lbs dark dry malt extract
1/2 lb Maltodextrin
12 oz Caramel 60 L
4 oz Roasted Barley
1 oz Magnum
1/2 oz Northern Brewer
1 sachet Danstar Nottingham ale yeast
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#7]
In the future try using a light LME and getting your color and flavor from steeping grains.
LME darkens in color when it oxidizes, with dark lme its hard to tell if its still good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top