Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 4:45:59 PM EDT
A friend of mine bottled me 40 bottles of Muscadine wine.  I am wanting to give them as gifts in the future.  There is a lot of settlement in the bottom of the bottles.  Does not look like pulp, it almost looks like a layer of sugar. You can shake up the bottle and it will mix up. (Sorta)  my friend says it is the yeast.
From the time I gave him the grapes to the finished product was a month.
My question is can I uncork this wine and re bottle it and not get the settlement in the new bottles?
I have bought all the stuff to start making my own wine in the future but I hate to wast all this wine.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont sweat the sediment on the bottom.  I dont know how long muscadine wine traditionally ferments and clears for, but It will be fine. A month to the bottle seems really fast. It never had a chance to fully clear, and thats what its doing in the bottle.

If you want to keep the sediment away from your glass, store them upright in a cool place for a while. It will settle to the bottom, and carefully pour the wine to your glass. You might lose a little bit of tasty liquid, but thats the trade off.

I wouldnt bother rebottling. Its just too much of a chance of oxidising the wine and making it worse.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no way that should have been bottled.  Is the wine any good?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you degas the wine before bottling?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no way that should have been bottled.  Is the wine any good?
View Quote

This.  Four weeks from grapes to bottled wine is why you have sediment and a wine that is not clear.  If it tastes OK, then there is no major problem, but this was a rush-job wine, and it is what it is.  Let it settle in the bottle, and if the taste is good, enjoy it as-is.

The wine should have been given time to clarify, then have been racked off of the sediment prior to bottling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top