Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2015 6:39:22 PM EDT
Has anyone made AppleJack?

I stumbled upon this on youtube while checking out some whiskey/whisky reviews and I became intrigued.

has anyone made this before? If so is it any good and is it worth the effort?

This guy did a how to and it looks easy enough.

Part1
http://youtu.be/gAqKvM7JHkw

Part2
http://youtu.be/sJqsJWJBaZY

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I've watched Lyle make that at his home. Good stuff. The way he fractions the alcohol was new to me, though. Lyle uses a salad spinner to pull the ice out.

Another difference is, if you put a section of 2x4 under one side of the fermenting jug, you get all the yeast onto one side. then, if you're careful, you can take that out, set it down level, and put your siphon in the bottom of the other side. The yeast seems to compact over on the other side and you don't have to worry as much about picking it up when you siphon it off.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a couple of thing.

Firstly, and I don't want to be "that guy", it's probably not legal to do this in the US.

Secondly, maybe most importantly,  Apples have naturally occurring methanol just from growing. Eating and cider levels it's really not an issue but when you freeze distill you are also concentrating that methanol as well as the tasty ethanol and don't really get separated out the way they would in a heat distillation method.

More info here (link left cold)
homedistiller.org/intro/methanol/methanol

From link.
"this is why all the old books on cider making refer to a condition called "apple palsey" - it's the massively painfull hangover from the high methanol content. "
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a couple of thing.

Firstly, and I don't want to be "that guy", it's probably not legal to do this in the US.

Secondly, maybe most importantly,  Apples have naturally occurring methanol just from growing. Eating and cider levels it's really not an issue but when you freeze distill you are also concentrating that methanol as well as the tasty ethanol and don't really get separated out the way they would in a heat distillation method.

More info here (link left cold)
homedistiller.org/intro/methanol/methanol

From link.
"this is why all the old books on cider making refer to a condition called "apple palsey" - it's the massively painfull hangover from the high methanol content. "
View Quote

Well then!!!!! LoL. Never mind
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top