Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2015 3:12:03 PM EDT
soI'm taking everyone's advice from my last post and getting  a 15 gal kettle. Thi thing is how moch do I really need to spend?
Would something like this from AIH work?
http://www.homebrewing.org/2-Weld-15-gallon-SS-Brew-Pot_p_2756.html

Or am I better off spending more and getting something from spikes?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C0Y3FZG/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?qid=1420311997&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
I'd like to try to keep the price down as buying all this equipment is expensive.

Are there other brands you prefer?
Mostly I will start with extract brewing 5 gal batches.. Then move on to all grain Belgium style beers like duvel. Yum
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
When I built my system I used beer kegs, cut the top off, and used bulkhead fittings.

Sold it all a couple of years ago, the all grain got to be too much work and not enough fun.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Like this.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
What part of ohio? Im near CMH if you want to take a look at my keggle. Ive all the tools to help you out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Do a search on Amazon for 'brew kettle'.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 15 gallon spikes kettle. His welds were some of the worst I have ever laid eyes on. From a few pictures on his website, it looks like he cleaned his stuff up though.

Granted, I bought one when he first got in the market so it could have been an experience thing.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I took a old lid that I had and used that to trace the cut out the cut and used a neighbor's plasma torch then ground the rest off. The reason for using the lids was now I have a lid that fits perfect!

I made weldless fittings from SS part# s I got of the web from McMaster Carr.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a 9 gallon version of the AIH pot, it's been fine. Upgraded to a 15gal Blichmann.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I built my system I used beer kegs, cut the top off, and used bulkhead fittings.

Sold it all a couple of years ago, the all grain got to be too much work and not enough fun.
View Quote

Keggles are a great way to go but if you do it yourself, you need to have a good angle grinder and a corded drill. Best is a plasma cutter, if you have access to one you're better off. There are places that sell turnkey keggles but their pricey. Blichmann Boilermaker line is damn nice but pricey as well.

Make sure you get one with a) a welded ball-valve and b) thermometer port. A sight glass is nice but can be added later if desired.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in the middle of building an ebrew stand.

At first I got a quote from Spikes for the needed kettles with fittings, etc.  After I picked my jaw off the floor I decided a cheaper DIY route.

Concord kettles from amazon.  Punched the holes in them with a Greenlee punch and step drill...that really sucked.  Machined some couplings I got from McMaster-Carr.  Then had a local welder weld them in.

Total ended up being half the price of Spikes, but based on the PITA factor I'd be more tempted in the future to just buy it all from Spikes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm in the middle of building an ebrew stand.

At first I got a quote from Spikes for the needed kettles with fittings, etc.  After I picked my jaw off the floor I decided a cheaper DIY route.

Concord kettles from amazon.  Punched the holes in them with a Greenlee punch and step drill...that really sucked.  Machined some couplings I got from McMaster-Carr.  Then had a local welder weld them in.

Total ended up being half the price of Spikes, but based on the PITA factor I'd be more tempted in the future to just buy it all from Spikes.
View Quote
there are more than 2 places to get parts and the like

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought the 15gal (60qt) Concord kettles for something like $90 on line and drilled them and used weldless fittings.   They work great and I have had no issues after hundreds of batches.   I figured I would get them welded sometime later but I don't think I will now.   weldlessfittings.com has everything you need for a good price.   If you are not comfortable with drilling stainless, ask your local beer club, someone there should have a local option for you.   You just have to decide where you want to put the holes.

You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on stainless to make great beer!

My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:44:24 AM EDT
[#12]
So i ended up with the concord....got the weldless fitting but figure until i am brewing 10 gal i dont need to attach them....worked out really well for my first brew....Tonight just ordered a 2 scotch ale kits tonight from northern brewer.....I figure these are for next winter.....still need to come up with some summer brews..
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:05:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So i ended up with the concord....got the weldless fitting but figure until i am brewing 10 gal i dont need to attach them....worked out really well for my first brew....Tonight just ordered a 2 scotch ale kits tonight from northern brewer.....I figure these are for next winter.....still need to come up with some summer brews..
View Quote

California Common, Cream Ale both are NB kit beers and pretty good
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I've found some really nice 80 QT/20 gal kettles here:

http://www.concordkettles.com/

I ordered one to see if I liked it and was impressed enough to order up two more of the S-series 1.0 mm thick kettles.  Building an all electric setup so I went with the single ply bottom.  80qt (20 gal.) with lid is $115 shipped.  They also have options for valves and fittings installed.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I have that 15gal kettle from AIH and have not been disappointed. It works like any kettle should work. plus it wasn't the most expensive option so I don't mind if dents start showing up. Also, I am glad that I didn't spend too much because my crappy turkey fryer is building up a lot of soot on the bottom. I try to keep it clean but most of the bottom of the kettle is black. I actually just ordered the false bottom that AIH sells for this kettle and am looking forward to trying it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top