Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2014 12:39:19 AM EDT
I finally broke down and bought the rest of the supplies that I needed to keg my cider. The wife told me that she had promised her friends cider that was clear and tasty for Christmas so I was forced to answer the call to mechanically carbonate (time constraints).

Holy cow, I should have done this two years ago.

I was able to make a good batch of cider, pitch in some sorbate and meta-bisulfite and then put it on the gas. I tried it today and it was a little low on the carb so I did the shake the keg trick and wow, it was perfect after ten minutes! I was able to bottle 4 bottles to take to the in-laws Christmas party tomorrow using the Homebrew Talk BMBF and it worked perfectly. Which was good because everything else was being difficult.

Bottom line, if you are not kegging, start!

On another note, I think I may have made it a little higher ABV than intended. The wife had half a glass and could feel it. She told me that I had to warn people about it because it was so sweet and had no alcohol taste. I just laughed and said, "Sure babe."

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tis the season...
View Quote

Next up is a pure concoction with no brewing involved. A keg of lemonade with a big bottle of vodka in it, then carb and serve. Essentially it will be alcoholic San Pellegrino.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I bottled probably 5 batches then kegged. When you can go from fermenter too glass in a day or so you will never go back. Washing and sanitizing one giant container rather that cases of bottles, and the few minutes required to fill the keg as opposed to the little tiny bottles make kegging a no brainer.

Welcome to the dark-side.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Getting a keg setup was by far one of the best things i did for my brewing.
Plus, now the vast bulk of the beer that i drink is beer that i brew. Still need to get some perlicks though, im just useing picnic lines at the moment
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Next up is a pure concoction with no brewing involved. A keg of lemonade with a big bottle of vodka in it, then carb and serve. Essentially it will be alcoholic San Pellegrino.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Tis the season...

Kegging is BY FAR the way to go.
Just be careful with this ^^. That mix should be good ( ), just watch out for mixing these types of items - not so much for any danger aspect, it's just they can taint your beer lines into a permanent off-flavor for anything else that goes through that line.

Otherwise, drink up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top