Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2014 1:35:52 PM EDT
I brew 2 lagers.  One comes out clear, like commercial beer.  The other comes out looking like pineapple juice.  They both taste great.  

The facts:

The clear beer is 4lb 2 row, 4lb 6 row, 1lb flaked corn, 1lb flaked rice.

The cloudy beer is 11lb. Pilsner, 1lb Cara-pils.

My mash schedule on  both beers is a protein rest at 122F for 30 minutes. and then a beta rest at 150 and mashout at 168.  

I don't use any clarifying agents like Irish moss on either beer, and would really prefer not to.

Any ideas on what I can do to clear up this Pilsner?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Cold crash and rack it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
These are both lager beers so I do cold crash them as the go into the lager stage.  They both stay at 31F for 4-6 weeks or until I can't stand it anymore.  The Pilsner never clears.  

Here's what my light lager looks like

Here's a pic of the Pilsner wort.  It doesn't change much from fermentation

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These are both lager beers so I do cold crash them as the go into the lager stage.  They both stay at 31F for 4-6 weeks or until I can't stand it anymore.  The Pilsner never clears.  

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t175/one338winmag/LightAmericanLager001_zps6098769c.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t175/one338winmag/Pilsner001_zps988c3200.jpg
View Quote

How long did they sit in primary?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t175/one338winmag/LightAmericanLager001_zps6098769c.jpg

2 weeks

ETA:  After that, I usually bring both of them up to 68F for 3-5 days before transferring to the secondary container and moving it to the lager.  
Note, the quart jar of wort is added to the pilsner when it is brought up to 68F which kicks off a fermentation which gets rid of any diacetyl.  I get no diacetyl problems with this beer, and it tastes great.  It just looks horrible.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

2 weeks

ETA:  After that, I usually bring both of them up to 68F for 3-5 days before transferring to the secondary container and moving it to the lager.  
Note, the quart jar of wort is added to the pilsner when it is brought up to 68F which kicks off a fermentation which gets rid of any diacetyl.  I get no diacetyl problems with this beer, and it tastes great.  It just looks horrible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 weeks

You might try lagering a little while longer.  4-6 weeks is the rule of thumb I think.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Any reason why you prefer to not use any clarifying agents?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any reason why you prefer to not use any clarifying agents?
View Quote

Take a look at the pic of the light lager I posted.  I don't think I need any.  I have a porter sitting in bottles, that's the same way.  I bottled it in clear bottles (shame on me), and you can see through them.  This is the only beer I make that I have clarity problems with.  

I'll let this lager sit for 4-6 weeks.  I have plenty to drink, and we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Polyclar to the rescue!
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#11]
How long on the beta rest?  

If haze is unconverted starch, fining agents aren't going to drop it bright.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#12]
30 min on the protein rest.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:28:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

30 min on the protein rest.
View Quote

Right, you mentioned that in the OP.  How long on the beta rest?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#14]
70 min.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 3:38:24 AM EDT
[#15]
If you're wort is as cloudy as the pic of the jar, you probably need to vorlauf longer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Polyclar to the rescue!
View Quote

or Chitosan, sounds like it. Especially when one is clear & the other is cloudy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#17]
The only thing I can think of that would cloud a brew up this bad is if it didn't get a good cold break, or a hot break for that matter. Both are essential for obtaining a clear final product.

How are you chilling? Immersion chiller straight from the hose? If you are not getting a good heat exchange slow the water flow down. Try pre-chilling your water. Here in the deep South when average water temps from the ground are 75-80 this is pretty standard. When I lived further North I didn't have that big of a problem with water temps. A fast temp exchange will produce an optimum cold break. This is why plate chillers and counterflows are popular.

With haze like it seems to me that you are not getting a good cold break. Even if you get a marginal hot break, a good cold break should make most but all the stubborn haze drop, then this is usually dlet with by cold crashing and/or fining agents.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a good heat exchanger.  I get it from 212F down to around around 100F in about 10 minutes, then switch over to recirculating ice water through the heat exchanger and in another 10 minutes have it down to around 65F.  I can get it cool enough where the boil kettle sweats before I put it in the fermenter.  
As I said in my OP, this is the only beer I have clarity problems with.  I kegged a beer Saturday night, and we drank some yesterday.  It was as clear as commercial beer.  All the same equipment, and pretty much the same ingredients.  The only thing different is the pilsner is made with pilsner malt, and the beer I kegged Saturday was made with 2 and 6 row barley.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top