Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2014 10:27:42 AM EDT
So I brewed a pretty simple Saison a few weeks back and fermented it using WLP 670. Which is a blend of Saison and Brett.

Just curious how long this needs to sit before bottling. Never handled anything sour or wild so I'm not sure where to go from here.

It's been cranking away for about 2 weeks but I'm just unsure of how long to let it go.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The brett is going to take a little bit of time to get tart/funky. 2 weeks isnt enough time most likely. Sample it periodically and see if the flavor is where you want it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The brett is going to take a little bit of time to get tart/funky. 2 weeks isnt enough time most likely. Sample it periodically and see if the flavor is where you want it.
View Quote

I read a little today and it says aging for months at a time is normal with WLP650. Should I move it to secondary for aging then let it bottle condition also?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
There is plenty of debate on putting beer in a secondary. I am for using a secondary when a long aging is needed. But since you are trying to develop a flavor from the yeast and brett in this case, I say, leave it in the primary on the yeast cake for a while.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I had to edit my original post, I used WLP670, not 650
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#5]
FYI. Brett doesn't sour. While it can lower ph. It won't provide a discernible sour flavor. We play with Brett a lot. No sour.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

FYI. Brett doesn't sour. While it can lower ph. It won't provide a discernible sour flavor. We play with Brett a lot. No sour.
View Quote
So what can I expect?

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Depending on strain, length of time, residual sugars.

You'll get pineapple, green Apple, brused red apple, barn, wet hay, fresh cut grass, horseblanket, and at the worst all the way to cow patty, gauze, bandaid.

Brett is a wild yeast and in that unless you work closely with a strain for a while under different conditions you really never know what you could get.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Depending on strain, length of time, residual sugars.

You'll get pineapple, green Apple, brused red apple, barn, wet hay, fresh cut grass, horseblanket, and at the worst all the way to cow patty, gauze, bandaid.

Brett is a wild yeast and in that unless you work closely with a strain for a while under different conditions you really never know what you could get.

View Quote

Is there any way to propagate brett so I can pitch a little extra during conditioning?

Right now my Saison has been in the fermenter for about 4 weeks. I plan to leave it there for at least another month. Then rack off that to some carboys for long term aging. I would like to pitch a little extra Brett Brux to ensure I get at least some of the characters. I figure one vile of white labs brett brux for each carboy would suffice but I would also like to propagate enough to save a little for future batches too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I brew a lot of Belgians, I let mine sit 6-8 weeks. A Lambic or Sour Ale style needs about 4 months from my experiance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:48:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

This... Both ale and lager yeast lower ph as well.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quick update:

I pitched the brett a few weeks back and I have a nice pellicle on top in the fermenters. Gonna let it go for a few months and see what I get. Working with brett is a different beast all together.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Go by gravity. If you bottle carb I'd say bottle around 1.004. If you keg then once it hits 1.004 rack it and let it go. Blends suck.  You're better off buying two cultures and pitching both.  I tried the white labs sour blend and it never dropped below 4.0 ph.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Couple months...Kegging or bottling? Be careful naturally carving these things, under sugar by 5%.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Go by gravity. If you bottle carb I'd say bottle around 1.004. If you keg then once it hits 1.004 rack it and let it go. Blends suck.  You're better off buying two cultures and pitching both.  I tried the white labs sour blend and it never dropped below 4.0 ph.
View Quote

Dittos

Most of my Saisons take a month, even at 80oF stepped down to 72oF ish.

My Sour Blackberry Lambic Porter took months too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top