Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2014 4:50:08 PM EDT
Does anyone know what the traditional grain bill for a dunkelweizen is?  I see lots of people using crystal malts and chocolate malts which seems wrong to me.  I also see people using only dark wheat malt and Munich malt, which seems much more appropriate, but Beersmith is predicting a rather light color.  I do a double decoction, so it will darken things up a bit, but I think I'll still be on the low end color for the style.

I've done very well using a simple and traditional grain bill for my weissbier, and I'd like to do the same with this beer.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The best recipe that I personally have come up with is pilsner, wheat malt, dark wheat, and munich.

Shoot for roughly:

40% wheat malt

30% pilsner

20% dark wheat

10% munich

It makes damn good Dunkelweizen but you might want to look into a decoction mash to get that German flavor even closer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Two things to think about. No commercial brewer would use that much wheat. Fuck that, and fuck your shitty lauter speeds.

There are only a handfull of german brewers that use decoction mashing anymore and they are tiny guys, brewpubs and maybe very small regional at best. Unless you've spent a considerable amount of time in Germany you've never tasted a german made decoction mashed beer. Modern malts are so well modified decoction mashing isn't needed and only fucks enzymes and extracts tannins. 1% aromatic malt thrown in will mimic any old school decoction mashing flavors you might want.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:04:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Two things to think about. No commercial brewer would use that much wheat. Fuck that, and fuck your shitty lauter speeds.

There are only a handfull of german brewers that use decoction mashing anymore and they are tiny guys, brewpubs and maybe very small regional at best. Unless you've spent a considerable amount of time in Germany you've never tasted a german made decoction mashed beer. Modern malts are so well modified decoction mashing isn't needed and only fucks enzymes and extracts tannins. 1% aromatic malt thrown in will mimic any old school decoction mashing flavors you might want.
View Quote
Easy partner, calm down it's just beer.

I have no idea why you would have a problem with 40% wheat, even up to 70% wheat the wort drains just fine, try some rice hulls maybe.

I do agree that melanoidin malt would probably be easier to get the flavor of a maillard reaction vs actually doing a decoction.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have no idea why you would have a problem with 40% wheat, even up to 70% wheat the wort drains just fine, try some rice hulls maybe.

I do agree that melanoidin malt would probably be easier to get the flavor of a maillard reaction vs actually doing a decoction.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

60-70% malted wheat is standard for Bavarian Weiss.  I don't even need rice hulls at 70% wheat.

And having made the same beer with step mash and specialty malt as well as a decoction mash, I can say it does produce different results.  The best American brewer of hefeweizen uses a decoction (single in their case), as did all of the old German producers.  The fact that it's now cheaper for them to do direct-fired step mashes really doesn't say anything about the quality of the beer, now does it?  

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#5]
ALPA,  Thanks for the recipe.  What does your color come out like with only 20% dark wheat?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:48:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

ALPA,  Thanks for the recipe.  What does your color come out like with only 20% dark wheat?
View Quote
I don't have a picture but beersmith said it is only 6.5 srm.  That seems too light as I remember it being a bit darker (redish brown).

Now you have me thinking about adding some carafa III or midnight wheat to darken it up some.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top