User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2014 3:47:28 PM EDT
Brewing this weekend.

How much of each:

Cloves
ginger
cinnamon stick

Just trying to get an idea of how much to shoot for.

Thanks

Any spices that I'm missing that you would suggest?
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Found this on HBT:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/drift-bustin-winter-warmer-284331/

8 oz. of Fresh Ginger Root at 45 min.
8 oz. of Ginger Root at 15 min.
1.25 tsp of cinnamon powder at 15 min.
2 tsp of Nutmeg in bottling bucket.
View Quote

And if you want cloves, I'd try 1-1.5 tsp at 15 min.  Just a semi-WAG.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
From everything I have heard, cloves are something you might want to use extremely sparingly.

Have you thought about using a tincture during bottling/kegging so you get the exact flavor you want? This might eliminate some of the guess work that happens during recipe formulation.

For example, if you start with a known porter recipe you like, brew that up and get it ready for bottling/kegging. Then make your tincture of clove/ginger/cinnamon and slowly add to a glass of the non-carbonated beer until you are happy with it. Then scale up and mix in the bottling bucket/keg.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both.

I have thought of a tincture. Was going to do one for the vanilla bean for this even. I suppose I could put all the spices in there and then add at bottling.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I would steer clear or be very careful with clove. I have found a little goes a long way. I just don't add it anymore. You get plenty of flavor from the other spices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top